I got a D80!!!!! How do I use it?!? ;)

My local college, Wake Tech, has a beginners DSLR course as well as an intermediate course. I'm think about taking both over the next year.

I just checked their schedule and I think you may have to wait for the next session. I was considering Wake Tech or even Johnston Co. I thought it'd be a good idea over the winter. Too little too late.

I got a D80 a few months ago as well. I live just outside of Raleigh. Ever heard of Lizard Lick? Well, I don't live there, but not far away. I just wanted to give it a plug since it's such a curious name for a town...errr...mmm...crossroads.

I'd say hit the class up. Eighty bucks is nothing. If you get anything from the class it was worth it in my opinion. The most important thing though is, shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. You can't get the "eye" without practice. Play with the camera, a lot. Personally, I read the basics of the manual then went out and took a bunch of pictures. Nothing teaches faster than playing with the camera. After taking some pictures read a bit more of the manual, try the things out, then read more... I don't think learning it all in one night is the best way to do it. Do you really need to now how to use D-Lighting to take a good picture? Nope. Is it usefull, sure, just not right at first. Play with it, understand the basics, then dive deeper. BTW, you owe your wife big time, for that one.

I'm taking a course at my college...it's quite informative...even for the stuff I already knew, a professional teaching you and helping you is nice to have.

One more thought to consider that I haven't seen posted (and I'm going to contadict my earlier post) is the social aspect of the class. You could probably walk away from the class with a friend or two that you can continue to shoot with and learn with after the class. I'd think that would have some value worth considering. Especially, if like many of us your spouse doesn't find walking with you and being asked to "Hold this... ok now this." a fun time.

Congrats though... sounds like your wife deserves a nite out to a musical after that one. :wink:

We went out for Sushi and drinks that night. We had a great time but it no where near says thank you enough. Probably will have another date soon. (2 kids make date nights few and far between.

R.T.F.M…

;) One of my favorites! I've used that quote many times.

I just checked their schedule and I think you may have to wait for the next session. I was considering Wake Tech or even Johnston Co. I thought it'd be a good idea over the winter. Too little too late.

I got a D80 a few months ago as well. I live just outside of Raleigh. Ever heard of Lizard Lick? Well, I don't live there, but not far away. I just wanted to give it a plug since it's such a curious name for a town...errr...mmm...crossroads.

That's what I saw too. Probably have to wait until spring to take the course. That kind of sucks.

As for Lizard Lick...I've actually flown a Stearman out of a tobacco field in Lizard Lick. It was ages ago and the guy who owned the plane has long since gone to the great beyond, but it was one of the most memorable flights of my life. Jimmy Buchannan was his name. Hell of a nice guy.

As for Lizard Lick...I've actually flown a Stearman out of a tobacco field in Lizard Lick. It was ages ago and the guy who owned the plane has long since gone to the great beyond, but it was one of the most memorable flights of my life. Jimmy Buchannan was his name. Hell of a nice guy.

The Bi-Plane guy? Used to love watching him do all those arobatics near my house. Yeah, I've flown into his airstrip before (as a passenger). I had a brother-in-law that flew a Cessna.

Most reactions

Back