I got a good deal (I think) on the table.

Lol....

Just looked at it with a flash light. No evidence of mold or webs. Being that I am pretty new to photography, I'm not quite sure yet what metering is. I will have to do some googling during my lunch. Damn I wish I had my camera here now.

All you need to know for now is that it is ok to mount this lens on your D40.
With that knowledge, when you get home, slap it on your D40, and get ready to master your manual focusing skills!

If it won't meter on your D40, oh you'll know it.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-metering.htm

Holy crap, 55mm f/1.2 for $100? Lucky for you, you've just found the world's most clueless seller, just don't tell him that ;) This would be a good deal if it came without any filters or caps. Give him the $100 and run.

The BIN auctions on eBay are more than triple what he's asking.

Just looked at it with a flash light. No evidence of mold or webs.
If the aperture and focus rings operate smoothly, BUY IT. It's the deal of the century!

The D40 can accept both AI and non-AI lenses. This lens will mount on the D40 without modifications to either the body or lens. It will not meter or auto-focus, so you'll have to use it in M mode, but that doesn't matter. Learn how to set exposure and this will be your best lens.

If, for some absurd reason, you don't want it, tell him I will happily pay him $100 for it! :)

Last edited:
I want to see some shots with this lens!
COME ON.:mrgreen:

They are uploading to Flickr as I type. :D

I was quite impressed with it, hopefully you all think the same. I didn't take much of anything special and was working on the focus more than anything.
I thought I had broke the camera at first. I put the lens on and the camera said there was no lens attached. I hit the question mark button on the camera and said that a non-cpu lens can only be used in Manual mode. Whew.... I have like 16 pictures that I'll be posting in a bit.

How do I get the exif information?

^ Right click on the file in Windows Explorer > Properties > Summary > Advanced. This will show most of the important EXIF data. I use IrfanView to see all the EXIF data.

Note that some EXIF data will be wrong or blank, like focal length, aperture and anything else that relies on communication with the lens.

Hurry up, I really want to see some f/1.2 shots! :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back