I got a really good question for the creative photographers

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by RumDaddy, Jun 28, 2009.

1. RumDaddy

RumDaddy TPF Noob!

Which one of your lenses helps you get the most creative, unique or unusual shots?

You know the kind of images that would set you apart or help your one special image stand out or be just THAT much more special!

Right now Im led to believe its a the fish-eye lens. :confused: But now Im hearing about a super wide angle lens.

The boring question is, which fish eye lens do you suggest for a Canon 50D or what size?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  2. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can get creative images with any lens. I'd suggest a fast 35mm lens like a 35/2 for a 'normal' but still fairly fast lens.

A normal lens will force you to find creative images without relying upon a crutch of a specific "creative" lens. A fisheye is something that will quickly grow tired, and the same is true of a super wide angle.

What do you want to photograph?

3. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Whatever lens I have on my camera at the time. And if I have a moment to spare, whatever lens I have in my bag.

4. RONDAL

RONDAL TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    lenses, cameras, filters....they are all simply tools that allow me to get the creative thought IN MY HEAD, and make it something tangible in digital format, in most cases an image on a computer screen.

i wouldn't say one is any more "creative" than another.

That's like asking a painter which brush is more creative....

5. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A photographer's creativity is limited only to their own imagination. Each person observes things in a different way. I use all of my lenses for everything I do. I feel my creativity is the ability to create a dreamy creamy wispy like picture. My style = Ethereal.

"A photographer's creativity is limited only to their own imagination" LOL or what version of photoshop they own. :)

6. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pft. Photoshop is for wussies. Hard-core photographers do it all in camera. :greenpbl: :lol:

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    18mm or my 105mm Macro. They open up a new world. One that can't be seen with the naked eye. Nothing gives me more feeling of accomplishment than taking a photo of some ice and having someone reply "what the heck is that".

If they can't recognise it, and I haven't photoshopped it to death, then I must have got a unique or creative angle.

8. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    whichever lens suits the situation.

there is no magical lens that will be creative. I've seen some truly inspiring shots done with all focal lenghts, from 10mm to 400+

9. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is one lens that is the most creative it is in your eye!

No one camera lens will do it, that is why many of us have 3 or more lenses in your bag (I carry 6)
    I have shot the same subjest with several lenses to get the look I am going for.

10. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Either that or the shot is really bad :lmao: Just a joke.

The lens and body are just objects and objects are not creative. The person using the objects is where the creativity comes from. Or not.

I agree with tsaraleksi that the fisheye or superwide effect gets tiring real fast. It does work with some photos but, imho, very few.

11. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There's not one "creative" lens on the market, there's a whole catalog of them. What's creative is the loose nut behind the camera, nothing that you can attach to the camera itself.

With that being said, I find myself using my 17-40 wide angle lens the most for the types of images I like to capture. But my style changes as do the ideas I have. Sometimes you don't want the heavy distortion that a 17-40 offers (especially at the 17mm end).

First envision what you want to capture, then pick the right tools to create that picture.

12. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Some of the most outstanding images I have taken were not credited to the Lens ... it was the quality of Light and the Subject that made the picture outstanding, and of course my ability to capture it.