I got an SLR

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Dan_The_Moose, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Dan_The_Moose

Dan_The_Moose TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everybody. I found at my local camera shop a Pentax MG, i dont have the money to buy a digital one yet, so I decided to get a film one that was in my price range (£30) which included a 50mm lens and the i bought a 70-210mm zoom lens for £20.

I went out one day with my camera in hand and i was clicking away, then i got them developed the same day, but most of my landscape pics came out blurry around the edges but nice and clear in the centre, even a picture i took of a tree had blurred edges.

I used iso400 film (if that makes much difference but i dont think it will) the lens I used was the 50mm.

what kind of lens do i need for landscapes and things where i want the whole of the picture to be in focus??

another quick question: what things do i need to take a nice clear picture of the moon ie lens type, shutter speed, and f stop using iso 200 film??

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk261/onglog/Untitled-2copy.jpg

this is a picture that shows the blurred edges.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The Pentax MG was made from 1981 to 1984. It was an entry level SLR, was manual focus, aperture priority with no manual setting of speeds.

3. Dan_The_Moose

Dan_The_Moose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for that, but it kinda doesn't answer my question:confused:

4. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You need a better camera, Id say to take the great pictures youre asking for. I would have saved my money longer and got a digital one. You can pick up the Nikon D40 with a great kit lens for £265. Its quite a bit more than you paid for that camera and lens, but you could get great photos on this compared to that camera. If you really wanted a great one, you could have saved for the D80 and really hit the ground running. You can take moon shots with your telephoto lens but settings always vary.

Mark

5. Dan_The_Moose

Dan_The_Moose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok, so i'm not going to buy a digital one any time soon, i simply dont have the money for it, im pretty sure there is a way to take photos of a landscape without using a digital camera. surely there must have been somebody who has managed it. Am I right??

6. HeY iTs ScOTtY

HeY iTs ScOTtY TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Probably just a cheap lens with bad optics. Take your camera back and ask the dealer to try out different lenses. Put one on and take a few pics with it and then try another. Take a whole roll of film with different lenses keeping track of what lens you use to what pictures you take. That way you can see if its the lens or the camera thats causing the blur and if it is the lens you might be able to return it and then get the one that took the best pictures.

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I hope that is clearer.

8. Dan_The_Moose

Dan_The_Moose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My mam bought me the camera if you must know, i spent £7 on 3 rolls of film

the 50mm lens is pentax brand,appature starts at 2.82 to 22, and the 70-210mm zoom lens is a Tokina, appature: 4-32.

Doesnt the blurr mean that the subject is in the middle so it blurs everything out. Depth of field??

should i have set the apature to f/22 so that everything would have been in focus???

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you're shooting a landscape picture, if it's in focus in the middle but blurry on the edges, the lens is suspect. If it's focusing at infinity(which I am GUESSING it is), then the whole picture should be in focus(not just the middle) regardless of aperture setting.

However, you can try to stop it down to say f/8 or so and see if the image improves. Make sure you compensate with a slower shutter speed if that's possible.

10. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Usually you don't get shallow depth of field (2.8 or so) while shooting landscape. The lens will most likely be focused at infinity which will make everything in focus. I have never shot landscape and had the DOV that I get when I shoot macro.

11. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. Dan_The_Moose

Dan_The_Moose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    is the lens still suspect if some of the pictures i have taken dont come out blurry around the edges?

I have some pictures of houses that are clear in the whole picture.

Any thoughts??

Thanks astrostu for the link i will read that when i get the chance.