I got an SLR

Dan_The_Moose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody. I found at my local camera shop a Pentax MG, i dont have the money to buy a digital one yet, so I decided to get a film one that was in my price range (£30) which included a 50mm lens and the i bought a 70-210mm zoom lens for £20.

I went out one day with my camera in hand and i was clicking away, then i got them developed the same day, but most of my landscape pics came out blurry around the edges but nice and clear in the centre, even a picture i took of a tree had blurred edges.

I used iso400 film (if that makes much difference but i dont think it will) the lens I used was the 50mm.

what kind of lens do i need for landscapes and things where i want the whole of the picture to be in focus??

another quick question: what things do i need to take a nice clear picture of the moon ie lens type, shutter speed, and f stop using iso 200 film??

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk261/onglog/Untitled-2copy.jpg

this is a picture that shows the blurred edges.

The Pentax MG was made from 1981 to 1984. It was an entry level SLR, was manual focus, aperture priority with no manual setting of speeds.

Thanks for that, but it kinda doesn't answer my question:confused:

You need a better camera, Id say to take the great pictures youre asking for. I would have saved my money longer and got a digital one. You can pick up the Nikon D40 with a great kit lens for £265. Its quite a bit more than you paid for that camera and lens, but you could get great photos on this compared to that camera. If you really wanted a great one, you could have saved for the D80 and really hit the ground running. You can take moon shots with your telephoto lens but settings always vary.

Mark

ok, so i'm not going to buy a digital one any time soon, i simply dont have the money for it, im pretty sure there is a way to take photos of a landscape without using a digital camera. surely there must have been somebody who has managed it. Am I right??

Probably just a cheap lens with bad optics. Take your camera back and ask the dealer to try out different lenses. Put one on and take a few pics with it and then try another. Take a whole roll of film with different lenses keeping track of what lens you use to what pictures you take. That way you can see if its the lens or the camera thats causing the blur and if it is the lens you might be able to return it and then get the one that took the best pictures.

Hi everybody. I found at my local camera shop a Pentax MG, i dont have the money to buy a digital one yet, so I decided to get a film one that was in my price range (£30) which included a 50mm lens and the i bought a 70-210mm zoom lens for £20. That's about $90 USD for the camera and 2 lenses.

I went out one day with my camera in hand and i was clicking away, then i got them developed the same day, but most of my landscape pics came out blurry around the edges but nice and clear in the centre, even a picture i took of a tree had blurred edges.

I used iso400 film (if that makes much difference but i dont think it will) the lens I used was the 50mm. You provide no information about the lens like brand, maximum aperture. Actually, it may just be a very low quality lens, though I suspect a mechanical problem.

what kind of lens do i need for landscapes and things where i want the whole of the picture to be in focus?? A 50 mm lens of sufficient quality will work just fine. The quality of the lens you got with your camera is suspect, at this point.

another quick question: what things do i need to take a nice clear picture of the moon ie lens type, shutter speed, and f stop using iso 200 film?? You need a telephoto lens and the capability to use an intermediate aperture of f/8 to f/11 to be in the lens 'sweet spot' for clarity, The setting needed depend on the Moons phase.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk261/onglog/Untitled-2copy.jpg

this is a picture that shows the blurred edges.
I hope that is clearer.

My mam bought me the camera if you must know, i spent £7 on 3 rolls of film

the 50mm lens is pentax brand,appature starts at 2.82 to 22, and the 70-210mm zoom lens is a Tokina, appature: 4-32.

Doesnt the blurr mean that the subject is in the middle so it blurs everything out. Depth of field??

should i have set the apature to f/22 so that everything would have been in focus???

If you're shooting a landscape picture, if it's in focus in the middle but blurry on the edges, the lens is suspect. If it's focusing at infinity(which I am GUESSING it is), then the whole picture should be in focus(not just the middle) regardless of aperture setting.

However, you can try to stop it down to say f/8 or so and see if the image improves. Make sure you compensate with a slower shutter speed if that's possible.

Usually you don't get shallow depth of field (2.8 or so) while shooting landscape. The lens will most likely be focused at infinity which will make everything in focus. I have never shot landscape and had the DOV that I get when I shoot macro.

is the lens still suspect if some of the pictures i have taken dont come out blurry around the edges?

I have some pictures of houses that are clear in the whole picture.

Any thoughts??

Thanks astrostu for the link i will read that when i get the chance.

I believe your MG has uses the Kmount, which means if you ever wanted to dabble in digital, you could pick up a used body and still use your lenses.

Anyways, I'm not sure what is causing the lense to act this way, perhaps it needs a cleaning. Take it in to a camera shop, show them the photos and ask for their opinion.

For landscapes, I'd recommend a tripod. If you can't afford one, google "diy tripod" and I'm sure you'll find a cost-friendly solution.

you got some second hand 30yo gear...you dont know how it was taken care of.
that in addition to the possibility of low quality lenses might be your culprit.

i have an n65 (or 60 cant recall) that i shot with forever, and it was great. bought a second hand 70-300macro...old lens...not taken care of...it produces pics that are not ideal.

and the second shot with the trees on the bottom...it does get blurry in the upper portion of the pic.

learn that camera front and back...learn composition...exposure...all that good stuff, then you'll have a working knowledge of photography when you are able to upgrade.

*edit*
and just for the record, you may have SAVED money in the long run if you were able to go digital.
that;s what finally pushed me. i got tired of the processing costs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back