I got invited to a wedding...because I have a camera.

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So a cousin of mine invited me to his wedding, I was planning on going just because it's my family. It's not a easy thing for me as I hate weddings but I was going to go anyways until I read the invitation where they wrote a whole thing telling me to bring "my big" camera and take pictures.

Its a rare occasion for me to be invited to events so I was like cool, I actually exist to my family! and to find out that I only got invited because I have a camera, sorry..a "big camera" it really bummed me out.

Have you ever been invited to a wedding or a family event just because you have a camera?

I made it very clear to family - yes I've got a camera - NO I'm not taking photos at your wedding - yes if you ask me I might bring it otherwise chances are I won't as it would just get in the way half the time.

Simple and clean cut; if they want wedding photos they hire someone who knows what they are doing; how to do it and who formally has to be there to do it. Weddings are enough of a pain without trying to not only juggle family but also do photography.

So a cousin of mine invited me to his wedding, I was planning on going just because it's my family. It's not a easy thing for me as I hate weddings but I was going to go anyways until I read the invitation where they wrote a whole thing telling me to bring "my big" camera and take pictures.

Its a rare occasion for me to be invited to events so I was like cool, I actually exist to my family! and to find out that I only got invited because I have a camera, sorry..a "big camera" it really bummed me out.

Have you ever been invited to a wedding or a family event just because you have a camera?
A recent exchange with my one brother-in-law after I started taking pictures on vacation:

"Can you take a bunch of pictures of the kids and send them to me," he asks. "You don't know how much I charge, yet," I reply. He jokes, "Yeah, the check is in the mail". "So are the pictures," I rebut.​

Now, we're joking with each other; that's his typical joke response. I know that he appreciates my pictures, just as much as I appreciate his help with lots of things.

That said, I've stopped taking my "big" camera to family events because of this.

Personally, I'd write on the RSVP that you will be coming as a guest and will not be bringing any cameras with you. If they want you as a photog, they will be paying you and signing a contract. Also, never do business with family.

So, go, enjoy the wedding, and don't take any pictures. :smile:

I'm not invited because of it, but I'm 'loosely' expected to have it and then post up all the pics so everyone can see within 20 mins of me leaving the event.

I have to say I've sometimes taken some good photos when out with family but you can't be with them whilst taking photos. You are doing your thing away from them - even if its as simple as watching the same event next to them - you're typically far more involved in the camera and the event - you are not with them you're just there in the same place.

As a result you either end up taking photos and ignoring family or ignoring the camera and bieng with the family. It's times like that that a small point and shoot style camera or even your phone is nice - you get ot take quick snaps for memories but without breaking into camera-mode.

Of course its always a balancing act and many times you can balance hte camera in - however in my experiences a lot of the time the big camera becomes a big paperweight.

If I do choose to go, I'd probably still bring my camera but leave it in the car until after the boring stuff is finished. Because the area where the wedding is so beautiful. I can get some superb landscape shots. haha.

I have not been invited to a wedding because of it yet but I have been the defacto photographer on 2 family trips so far which I guess was not that bad since I was bringing my camera but there was a lot of "take a pic of this, take a pic of that" which was less than fun in my ear for a week. I have been to a few weddings recently that were photographed by family members (non professionals) and the results have come out pretty nice. I don't know what the situations were and if they had offered to do it or not but it seemed to work out well. There has been some stuff written about guests bringing cameras and getting in the way of hired photographers and I tend to side with the hired guys. I would say do what you feel is right but I also understand how family can cause issues when it comes to pressuring people to do things, you can chose your friends but you cant chose your family...

Personally I would avoid it if I were in the scenario as its a lot of responsibility/risk. What if the photos don't come out as they expected, what if the memory card get corrupted, what if you simply don't take enough photos or take to many, or edit them in a way they did not intend. I try and make it clear that when I take photos they are first and foremost done in a way that I like, if you like them too I am generally happy to share what I have but if you don't like them that wont stop me from hanging them on my wall if Im fond of one.

Many years ago I owned a publishing company with a small chain of weekly and biweekly newspapers. The invitations to all events family and social got to the point where they always included "by the way can you bring your camera". A larger company decided they wanted my company more than I did. After selling out I was so turned off by anything to do with photography that I put up my camera and only recently started back seriously. You wouldn't invite someone to an event that just happened to be a doctor and say "oh by the way can you bring your bag and give checkups" or an auto mechanic and say "could you bring your tools and tuneup my car". Yet people have no qualms in doing it to photographers. Now when someone invites me to something with the "can you bring your camera" I ask if I'm still invited if I don't , and watch them squirm.

Dear Cousin Dimwit,

I am very excited to hear about your upcoming wedding and wish you the best of luck. Unfortunately I have a previous engagement on the day of your wedding. It is the day I cut my grass. As I have a "Big Pair of Scissors" I like to trim each blade individual so as to maximize the look of my lawn. This unfortunately will take me all day. I am sure you understand as I have the biggest pair of scissors in the neighborhood.

Please find enclosed my wedding gift to you and your lovely bride. A $25.00 gift card to the Walmart Photography section where you can get a wonderful 8X10 color glossy photo of the lovely day.

Sincerely,
Not Your Patsie Cousin.

I wouldn't be hostile about it.
Just tell them you're already engaged with a lucrative paying gig that weekend and ask them to save you a piece of cake.

Just tell them you're already engaged with a lucrative paying gig that weekend and ask them to save you a piece of cake.

I don't consider speaking up to someone who's grossly callous being hostile. Weddings can bring together family members you might not see on a regular basis, so why should I not be able to share in that family time. Did they put similar demands on other members?

I agree. No need to be rude just because they are ignorant. Some people just don't know any better. Decline the invite or go and have a good time - take pics if you want to or leave the dslr behind - suit yourself. If they ask about pictures just smile and say you're only there for the free food!

I agree. No need to be rude just because they are ignorant. Some people just don't know any better. Decline the invite or go and have a good time - take pics if you want to or leave the dslr behind - suit yourself. If they ask about pictures just smile and say you're only there for the free food!

Or you could go to the wedding, take pics there, photoshop in some warts for the bride and maybe copy and paste the grooms eyebrows so they become a single eyebrow - then post them to facebook.

You know come to think of it I haven't been invited to take pictures at a family wedding in a long, long time.. lol

It's not a easy thing for me as I hate weddings

I don't consider speaking up to someone who's grossly callous being hostile. Weddings can bring together family members you might not see on a regular basis, so why should I not be able to share in that family time. Did they put similar demands on other members?

Speaking up means elevating Nerwin's issues above the wedding and giving unthinking people something to complain about. Backing out while casually making the point that he is not to be taken for granted or for nothing is better.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back