I got my 50mm f/1.8 today!

ShootHoops

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ariellemyers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot f/1.8 at 1600 the whole night. 1600 ISO.

Basketball492edited.jpg

Basketball504edited.jpg

Basketball520edited.jpg

Basketball543edited.jpg

Basketball552edited.jpg

I'm definitely pleased with the purchased. I have 30 shots that are absolutely keepers. I wasn't going to post them all, because I figured nobody could sit still long enough to take a look at them all. But if you'd like to see them, PM me. :)

Any thoughts?

1/1600...at f/1.8...

oh to have a camera with interchangable lenses...

Oh, you lucky one!
I had so hoped that last (oops, yes, now it is "last") year's combination of birthday and Christmas would bring around that self-same lens for me, for that is the ONLY time for me in the course of the year when I can expect any presents, no second chance by a birthday in summer or so :)roll: ), but it is going to be SOFAS in FEBRUARY instead. Now how boring is THAT?! ;)

Good shooting!
Must be fun to have such a fast lens at last, hm?

MUCH IMPROVMENT!

The only catch is that you're not as flexible as you would be with an f/2.8 zoom. But you still got nice, sharp images. Great job!

wow, congratulations :)

the only drawback in sports is you cannot really zoom in closely. but that is easily compensated by what you win by using a fast lens like that :)

Those are some good action shots you got there. I just got the same lens about a month ago and it has hardly left my camera. The only thing you have to really watch for that I have come across is you DOF. I have had a few shots where one eye is in focus and the other is not.

Did you get that close or did you crop? Did you use a flash at all?

These are great shots.

Hey, Congrats on the new lens. These shots show a lot of improvement.

So you were shooting at 1/1600? You probably don't have to shoot that fast. Sure it stops the action really well....but you sacrifice a few things.
The lens can open up to F1.8...but it's probably much sharper at F2.0 or F2.4 etc. Plus, the DOF at F1.8 is really thin. Yes, this is good for blurring out the background...but it can also be hard to get the whole subject into focus.
Another sacrifice is the high ISO and the noise that it brings. These look pretty good for being shot at ISO 1600...but less noise is almost always better.

You can freeze a lot of action at 1/250 to 1/500. So with the light you have, you could shoot at ISO 800 and F2.4 with a shutter speed around 1/400. I'm sure you will find a combination that works for you.

Wow, lots of replies. Thanks everybody!

I'm definitely excited about this lens. I feel like I've waited so long! Probably not longer than you, LaFoto. Yes, sofas are boring! :D I couldn't use flash and I barely did any cropping on these shots. I was standing against the wall on the baseline of the court.

Thanks again everybody! I'll keep all of these tips in mind for the next time.

Nice! I just picked the same lens up Sunday and can't wait for some decent weather to play with it some more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back