I got my feet good and wet for this shot

spike5003

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Havent been on here in a while... Heres a shot i took while i was out hiking. Unfortunately I didnt have my long zoom with me so got nice and soaked for this one. Hope you all like it.

turtle.jpg

I almost never write down my exposure so i dont remember what it was.

Shot with my pentax ist*ds

this is a real nice image. I'm on a laptop, so i can't really tell about the exposure, but it looks great, just a couple blown out spots (again, might be the laptop monitor). the tilt in this image is unnecessary in my opinion. I think it hurts the image actually. There really isnt any reason for it, and it distracts the viewer from the subject and it's surroundings, as it is a little hard for the eyes to find something it wants to focus on. that may just be me though. the sharpness and clarity is quite good for this, on the other hand. the color is also very nice, just the right amount of saturation. i think if you straightened it out (not sure if this has been rotated or if this is how the original is) and crop the left side off so that the out of focus reed in the bottom left corner would be eliminated, it would make an even better image. with it level, i think the contrasting vertical lines of the reeds and the horizontal log that the turtle is on would be very nice. Sorry if this is alot of critique, i'm trying to squeeze as much out of my mind as i can, in hopes that i might be able to improve my shots (so in a way, thank you :)). again, nice shot and subject!

The color depth is good on this shot even though the turtle shell is a little blown. The biggest thing I notice is the slant of the shot. When looking at this I find myself constantly turning my head. I realize you were trying to add more interest, I just don't agree with the approach. I would also have prefered a slightly more shallow DOF to put more a more dramatic effect on the turtle. Perhaps if the turtle would have cooperated and faced you it would have made all the difference.

As far as sharpness, details, etc, I don't see anything technically wrong with the photo.

Hi spike5003,

That is an interesting lil turtle :). But it took me a while to realize that there was a turtle in the shot; which means that the whole scene is cluttered. To to draw the viewer's attention to the turtle, you could use a shallow depth of field as mentioned by bogleric.

Look forward to seeing more from you!

thanks everybody, as for the tilt i thought it was kinda cool cuz then the turtle was looking up but i guess thats just my opinion.

I agree that a shallower DOF would be better, It's kinda my habit to shoot animals with a wider DOF because they move, but in this case the turtle wasnt going anywhere :p

really nice picture although I'm not sure about the angle here. It doesn't work for me. I like this kind of experiments rather with architecture or portraits, not with nature

I like it, but I think a tighter crop to just above the top left of the fella's head would improve the attention on the subject and also off-center it a bit. It's a touch too.... in the middle for my liking at the moment.

He's cute though and a shot worth getting wet for - don't let them bite you!

Rob

The turtle facing the camera would be essential to having a good photography - for any wildlife. Not much looks good when shot from behind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back