I got my Nikon D40!

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok after all these questions I bought my D40 tonight. unfortunately I am stil charging the battery so I have not been able to test it out, but I love the feel of it.
The girl at the counter did make me feel dumb though. She asked if I ever had a digital camera before, which I had, and she was acting like I was dumb for buying it. Unprofessional to say the least, but I've always loved taking photos with a regular p&s and always wanted a dslr, ever since watching Austin Stevens (a snake finder/photographer). I also find myself all the time lately saying "that would make a great photo..." and so forth. Thank you guys/girls for welcoming the newbs in here and into your hobby/profession. We are greatful to have such knowledgable and understanding members to help us out with our questions. Thank you for your patience.

What was it? A Ritz camera? :)

Congrats on the cam! That's very exciting. That first 1.5-2h wait while the battery charges can be absolutely maddening!

Look forward to seeing your first pics. Enjoy!

ok after all these questions I bought my D40 tonight. unfortunately I am stil charging the battery so I have not been able to test it out, but I love the feel of it.
The girl at the counter did make me feel dumb though. She asked if I ever had a digital camera before, which I had, and she was acting like I was dumb for buying it. Unprofessional to say the least, but I've always loved taking photos with a regular p&s and always wanted a dslr, ever since watching Austin Stevens (a snake finder/photographer). I also find myself all the time lately saying "that would make a great photo..." and so forth. Thank you guys/girls for welcoming the newbs in here and into your hobby/profession. We are greatful to have such knowledgable and understanding members to help us out with our questions. Thank you for your patience.

Hah, I've always wanted a DSLR after watching Austin Stevens too!

awesome another Austin Stevens fan. Yea he actually was my first inspiration to wanting one. He just looked so cool with it, you know? And he did snakes, and I have two snakes, so that's where it started with me.

Luckily when I got my D40, There was charge on the battery, wasn't charged fully but it was enough for me to play around it.

Hey Parkerman, do you know where the Carmax is around you, in Huntsville? Just curious, because I know someone who used to live up here who now works there.

Don't listen to the girl behind the counter who thinks it's a bad camera. It may be bad for her, or she could just be a dolt (haven't used that word in a while). Sure, its no D80, but the price isn't a D80 either. Honestly I would be ecstatic with a D40 if I had $500 to spend towards a new camera (or however much they are). I also think the whole spiel about it not working with non- AF-S lenses is exaggerated. I've seen the photos the D40 takes with its kit lenses and they are still VERY clear and crisp.

Congratulations! If you upgrade your camera anytime soon and are feeling charitable, remember my screen name :)

haha thanks senor hound. (don't know about upgrading soon, or feeling charitable either...haha) I agree with the quality of photos I've seen of the D40's. I have a SD card that holds no joke 6 pictures so tomorrow I'll buy a 1G and take it out. I messed a little, not with settings yet but just turned it on and zoomed, took some shots of plants ect ect, and love the feel of it. The pictures are turning out great, and that is without me doing anything whatsoever other than turning it on. I still don't know about focusing and things but I'll learn. Thanks

oh and about that girl. She didnt' seem like she thought the camera was bad, rather that I was buying a camera that I couldn't handle, or like "why would he want this?". That was the impression I got.

haha thanks senor hound. (don't know about upgrading soon, or feeling charitable either...haha) I agree with the quality of photos I've seen of the D40's. I have a SD card that holds no joke 6 pictures so tomorrow I'll buy a 1G and take it out. I messed a little, not with settings yet but just turned it on and zoomed, took some shots of plants ect ect, and love the feel of it. The pictures are turning out great, and that is without me doing anything whatsoever other than turning it on. I still don't know about focusing and things but I'll learn. Thanks

Don't bother with a 1GB. I'd recommend a 2GB or 4GB.

Don't bother with a 1GB. I'd recommend a 2GB or 4GB.

Agreed, and don't overpay!

You can find a 4GB for $15 online. Try newegg. A lot of retail stores will charge you $30 or more.

Congrats on getting the D40! I'm sure you'll absolutely love it. I do, and I'm constantly trying out new features; a proper DSLR makes you think about photography totally differently. Hope you enjoy getting out there and taking some stunning photographs!

Congratulations! If you upgrade your camera anytime soon and are feeling charitable, remember my screen name :)

The guy still waiting for the battery to fully charge and you already eyeing it? Such is the year 2008 :lol:.

Anyway congrat, you'll love that camera. It is light in hand and not burden on the shoulders. I just came back from shooting for the day and I am browsing the pictures now.

Produce pictures by it instead of talking about it, deal?

Have fun.

the D40 was my first DSLR, and I still have it....it's a great shooter, so load up the card and have fun!

Most reactions

Back