I got on a billboard!

Nice one!
Thanks!

Congratulations, you earned it with this one ... that is one fine promotional image for a PD ... I know you said it was a snap, but clearly you thought this out ... smiles that are approachable but not too smiley, models are squared away & professional. I like the folded arm pose for assertion and professionalism, and for an employment promotion, you nailed it for diversity & gender equality as well.

Very well done IMHO.

Thank you! You actually identified several things I chose very carefully. I wanted the poses and expressions to be approachable. Even so far as how the arms are crossed. Forearms interwoven often conveys disbelief, detatchment, and a generally guarded position. Forearms laid over one another tends to convey someone who is confident but relaxed. Especially when in uniform. I even wanted her wedding ring showing to show the family aspect of the profession. As for the lighting, it was a simple two light setup to create good contrast, which adds pop to the image as well as a bit of edginess.

Congratulations, you earned it with this one ... that is one fine promotional image for a PD ... I know you said it was a snap, but clearly you thought this out ... smiles that are approachable but not too smiley, models are squared away & professional. I like the folded arm pose for assertion and professionalism, and for an employment promotion, you nailed it for diversity & gender equality as well.

Very well done IMHO.

I echo these sentiments. Well thought out and executed.

Thank you! You actually identified several things I chose very carefully. I wanted the poses and expressions to be approachable. Even so far as how the arms are crossed. Forearms interwoven often conveys disbelief, detatchment, and a generally guarded position. Forearms laid over one another tends to convey someone who is confident but relaxed. Especially when in uniform. I even wanted her wedding ring showing to show the family aspect of the profession. As for the lighting, it was a simple two light setup to create good contrast, which adds pop to the image as well as a bit of edginess.

Mind sharing more on this two light set up? What and where? I love learning about lighting.

Congrats, that's awesome!
Thanks!

Very well done IMHO.

I echo these sentiments. Well thought out and executed.

Mind sharing more on this two light set up? What and where? I love learning about lighting.

Sure. I had my subjects standing. I hade my key light camera right, about 3 feet from the subjects and about 1 to 2 feet above them, facing downward at about 45 degrees and about 45 degrees toward me from perpendicular. Key light was a speed light in an 18 inch hexagonal softbox. Fill light was a bare speed light camera left, about 5 feet from the subjects, but at slightly above waste hight, and just my side of perpendicular to the subjects. Key light was firing at 1/2 power and fill light was about 1/4 power. Camera was about 10 ft from the subjects and the settings were 85mm @ f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/200 sec. Hope that helps!

Excellent, and exciting! I had a series of photos for a work campaign that we did billboards from, and it really was a much different kind of rush, seeing your photos up on this HUGE billboard on the side of the road!

Really nicely shot. Well done!

Yeah the images look like they translated well to a billboard, cool feature being up on a billboard.

Haha, nice. Buses are fun too.
Can you post a few that they didn't use? :)

Most reactions

Back