I got some crazy results from using fill flash

RebelTasha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today experimenting...
Crazy clear,, but a tad unnatural!!
Just wanted to share because I did basically nothing to them quite bizarre against the sky don't you think.. lol
(I know his chin is cut off I was using my prime and he wouldn't move back a bit & I was too comfy)

2540252614_877a1a3642_b.jpg

2540254696_ebb9b7f63a_b.jpg

2539437093_7dbbd5f466_b.jpg

Nice shots
Love numba 2!

That's exactly what fill flash is suppose to do. Without it, either your subject would be underexposed or the sky would be overexposed. Granted there are ways to improve on it... get the flash off of the camera and remotely triggered. Diffuse it more... perhaps a reflector.

A little more work on the composition will also go a long way.

Excellent exposure and expressions... well done (as usayit mentioned, composition could be improved a tad, but that's easier than getting the lighting right IMHO!)

Diffused would give it a nice soft natural light.

Agreed. 1, or rather 2 big diffusor reflectors would be ideal, from a technical point of view. But poses all sorts of other problems with the subjects, squinting eyes, and with jumpy kids.
Setting the flash to half power – minus 1 stop light output – may improve the shot, make it less 'unnatural'. That requires, however, that you prevent the cameras circuitry to compensate for that, and overexpose the image. The answer is to shoot in manual mode.
Full fill-flash, however, is practically the standard way to shoot celebreties. Just pick up any gossip or glamour magazine.

Interesting responces.. thank you!!

Alfred the flash output was at half, I read somewhere about putting a ping pong ball over the flash I might try that. I am not planning on getting into flash photography until winter time.. trying to do things in stages to avoid overwhelming myself.

these shots are WONDERFUL! Kids are so gorgeous! What were the settings your camera (and lens etc...)?

Hi Julie I took these with my Rebel XT with a 50mm 1.8 lens I was fairly close to the subject obviously from me cutting off parts of my youngest :(

Exp. 1/200
Aperture. F/11
Focal Length 50mm
ISO 200
Flash Fired
Manual

the flash output was at half,

Try 1/4.

I read somewhere about putting a ping pong ball over the flash I might try that.

Try ABBC.

I am not planning on getting into flash photography until winter time..

That would be a mistake, imo. You would deny yourself many an opportunity for great photos. Flash can be very useful outdoors, in the full sun, too.

What a little ham... cute as a button!

But... where are the crazy resuts? I see some very good results!

For #2, if off camera flash was used, it could have gone down perhaps 10-15 degrees and more evenly lit his face, but not too far, else they get that flashlight under the chin look... lol

I love off camera flash! :D

Jerry, you said if an off camera flash was used? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does that mean using something like a Stroboframe with an external flash? Great Pictures! Your children are very cute!

I dont really like the 1st and 3rd one, their too in your face for me. The 2nd one is nice but the power lines behind his head is a bummer. their mad clear though, right on.

Jerry, you said if an off camera flash was used? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does that mean using something like a Stroboframe with an external flash? Great Pictures! Your children are very cute!

Generally I consider a flash on a stroboframe to be still "on camera flash,"but just a little better. Off camera usually on a stand connected via cable, or wireless, through IR or radio transmission. Check out http://strobist.blogspot.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back