1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

I got spots...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Deadeye008, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Deadeye008

Deadeye008 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've noticed some spots on some pictures that I've taken. Is this dust on my sensor or something on my lense? My camera is a 30d that I bought new about 3 months ago and the lense I was using is my new Tamron that I got about a week ago. Here is a pic. Its an HDR. You can see the spots in the sky. Thanks. ***UPDATE**** I tried taking some pics with my 50mm lens and the same spots show up! This means I have dust on my sensor correct? Can I clean this myself or is it better to take it to a camera shop and have them do it?
    [​IMG]

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yup, dust on the sensor. Try a search, sensor cleaning has been discussed many times and there is lots of good info already posted.

3. If it is only a few spots, you may as well learn to get rid of them in Photoshop - I use the Healing Brush. Chances are you will always have a little dirt, and it is usually only visible in the sky, when using a tight aperture. If you're doing HDR work and re-sampling the same spot several times, obviously it will be quite defined.

You could use a blower to try and dislodge the dust particle. Enter the Sensor Cleaning Mode, which flips up the mirror and opens the shutter. I prefer to do the whole three-step: blow it, then brush it using the Arctic Butterfly brush, and then I use specific swabs and a cleaning liquid made by VisibleDust, the same company that makes the Butterfly brush.

You will hear a lot of warnings about cleaning your own sensor. Your sensor is not actually out in the open - it is attached to the back of a piece of glass. It is not THAT sensitive. So if you're a reasonably sensitive person you should have no problem cleaning it.

Oh, and once it's clean, don't change lenses in a dusty environment. And don't lean over your camera - chances are that's a piece of dandruff.

4. Deadeye008

Deadeye008 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks you two. I'll try and use the heal brush to fix these pics that I took and then I'll have to get some sensor cleaning supplies.