I had always considered myself careful with my gear............

It busted where most people's 24-70's snap apart. The 24-70 is a VERY fragile lens, when you talk about pro-leve build, the 24-70 is not that. you look on DPReview and there was a bunch of people who's lens mounts just snapped off like that (often when just pulling the gear out of the bag), seemingly for no apparent reason.
For nikon, canon, or both?

thats sucks.

This is why I can't live without insurance. It a must have with all this gear. lol

It busted where most people's 24-70's snap apart. The 24-70 is a VERY fragile lens, when you talk about pro-leve build, the 24-70 is not that. you look on DPReview and there was a bunch of people who's lens mounts just snapped off like that (often when just pulling the gear out of the bag), seemingly for no apparent reason.
For nikon, canon, or both?

The nikon version. I'm pretty convinced that Canon (L) lenses are built better and tighter than any of the Nikon AF-S lenses, but most of Nikon's bodies are built better than Canon's (for the exception of the 1D).

The nikon version. I'm pretty convinced that Canon (L) lenses are built better and tighter than any of the Nikon AF-S lenses

Any of them? There is nothing wrong with the build quality of the Nikon super teles, IMO. Nothing whatsoever.

But, IMO, the previous generation of AF-S pro lenses were better in that respect than the current ones (28-70 f/2.8 vs. the 24-70, and even the 70-200 VR II vs. the VR I)

The new 24 f/1.4 also leaves something to be desired as far as build quality goes.... considering it's a pro lens.

I'm sure the equivalent Canon lenses are built better.

Last edited:
The nikon version. I'm pretty convinced that Canon (L) lenses are built better and tighter than any of the Nikon AF-S lenses

Any of them? There is nothing wrong with the build quality of the Nikon super teles, IMO. Nothing whatsoever.

But, IMO, the previous generation of AF-S pro lenses were better in that respect than the current ones (28-70 f/2.8 vs. the 24-70, and even the 70-200 VR II vs. the VR I)

The new 24 f/1.4 also leaves something to be desired as far as build quality goes.... considering it's a pro lens.

I'm sure the equivalent Canon lenses are built better.
good point, i'm not sure about the exotic telephotos. But with the nikon lenses, you pick up any of the crinkle coat AF lenses, and then pick up a more contemporary lens, and the new ones feel like the consumer grade lenses. they really just don't make them like they used to.

If it was Canon, it wouldn't have broke.

:D
If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their ass.

603708415_dodMN-XL.jpg

Care to add some? :lmao:

Looks like it's gonna be a 3 to 4 week wait for repairs.​

Yayyyy!!!!

Got the call today and it's finally back in the local shop. I took it in on 9-4-10, that's 54 days and the cost of repairs is only $290. Since I can't get to the shop before they close during the week, I'll have to wait until Saturday. It's only a 2 day wait though. Guess what I'll be shooting with this weekend?

Sweet! Happy ending.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back