I hate adobe photoshop

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by Riggaberto, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Riggaberto

Riggaberto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    At times. Right now I can't do something as simple as save a .tif as a jpg. Any help? When I click save as, jpg isnt an option under the format chooser. I have CS3.

2. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If options are greyed out you need to change the bit size or your file. Image-->Mode-->8bits/channel. I use CS2 so Im not sure what the limitatis are in 16 bit. Jpegs need to be saved as an 8 bit on CS2

3. Riggaberto

Riggaberto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Duh, thanks. I guess I assumed photoshop would be smart enough to just convert that at the time of saving...appreciate it!

4. molsen

molsen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    keep in mind, also, that if your image has multiple layers, you probably won't be able to save as a .jpg until you merge the layers/flatten the image

5. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    PS is smart enough not to do this because doing so removes layers and bits automatically and irrevocably. Requiring you to make the decision before saving keeps you from making a stupid mistake accidentally.

6. Riggaberto

Riggaberto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well if it was really smart it would realize that there were no additional layers, but I get your point.

7. Atropine

Atropine TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really can't see the problem here. I just tried to save a multi layer tif to jpg right now, and my CS2 let me do it telling me it would be saved as a copy. Meaning I could save a jpg and keep working with my multi layer tif without any information lost. Perfect imho. It's only when the bit depth is set to 16 bits per channel you don't get the jpg alternative since a non preview export could result in unwanted colour loss.

If you still want the ability to save a jpg regardless of colour space and bit depth, you could try the keyboard combination ctrl-alt-shift-s (save for web).

Don't hate ps, learn it.