I hate Canon EOS450D

Just like what everyone else is saying, shoot RAW, process later, and adjust everything that you're saying later, where you have complete control over the image.

Doesn't the 450D have any sort of Auto Contrast control or is it still manual only? I never have any contrast issues on my Nikons becasue they do that auomatically as part of the JPEG processing and hence little need for me to shoot RAW.

This could be very much the result of Canon's attempt to push the 450D to consumers giving it a more appealing image to them but not to us. This of course means nothing if you shoot in RAW.

It's definitely not unheard of. Our point and shoot olympus camera took an hour worth of fiddling with the brightness contrast and saturation incamera settings before it gave a picture that I like.

Of course I could be entirely wrong.

Couldnt this be just a colour temperature issue? Have you tried tweaking WB?

I've got a 400d and found to get better pictures I've had to play with the picture style and up some of the settings a bit - I was finding the pics a little bland (shooting as jpeg) compared to how the subjects were in real life.

I've got a 400d and found to get better pictures I've had to play with the picture style and up some of the settings a bit - I was finding the pics a little bland (shooting as jpeg) compared to how the subjects were in real life.

THANK YOU GUYS!

Yesterday I played with RAWs.
They really are making a difference.
So I in spite of being large and not quite convenient to work with you can immediately notice a difference when trying to modify jpg or raw.

Nevertheless I decided to play with the picture style setting as well.
My assumption is that they are may be not calibrating every camera and may be there are discrepancies, therefore picture style setting must be sort of calibrated for each camera.

I found a canon web page where they are giving few more of the settings etc.
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/picturestyle/index.html

From what they are saying I think what I am looking for is the setting FAITHFUL which is supposed to give photos closest to what human eyes see.
After choosing the option I realized that it is not the case.
(may be my eyes see more...)

However I realized that they did provide a program PICTURE STYLE EDITOR. If you take a picture in raw format you may see with this program what every picture style setting would do to the picture plus how you can extend the settings.
So after playing for a while I decided to start with FAITHFUL (which is also supposed to have low contrast) plus supplement it with sharpness to 6, contrast to -1, saturation to 2.
It seems great but I think on the weekend I will take a lot of pictures shooting with both raw and jpg. If the setting appears to be ok I may go with it, if not I will still have raw files to play and to try optimizing the settings better.

I think however that every camera may need this testing if someone persists in shooting in jpg.

I guess for the important pictures I may go with raw anyway just in case but for simple family pictures from a weekend I may optimize my own picture style setting.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Get a decent raw processor (I'll recommend Lightroom and leave the other 50 programs for 50 other members to recommend) and you'll see RAW is no different than JPEG to work with once you get a program which doesn't hinder your workflow.

Just to close up finally the topic I wanted to paste here some conclusions from the dpreview web page.
They were testing 450d and in the conclusion-cons list they mention two points:

• Metering has tendency to overexpose in very bright, contrasty conditions
  • Default JPEG output may be a little 'over processed' for some tastes (raw far more flexible)
So apparently they found out same thing.
Of course I have received already here helpful and satisfactory answers, I just put it in here to show that it is a real issue with 450d.

Hi;

I have a XSI and love it. Check on the web. There are many vidios on how to run this camera like a pro. Youtube has 1000's of them. They go thru much more that what you get out of the book. I tried RAW but it take so much space. Hope it helps.

Crazy

In regards to your filters and vignetting, I would suggest buying a step up ring, from the diameter of your lens to about a 58 or 62 and then use these filters (58mm and 62mm) stacked. You will not get any vignetting, even with the WA lenses. One word of caution though, the step up ring should be as thin as possible so you avoid vignetting entirely.

Good luck and glad you're discovering the RAW format. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back