I HATE CRAIGSLIST PHOTOGRAPHERS

RockstarPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I just lost a gig to a "craigslist photographer". I was suppose to shoot a band for their upcoming album but got an email today saying they found a photographer on craigslist that would do it for 50 bucks. I even dropped my price for this band. I had locations scouted, ideas from the band, everything was set. Now I lost it to a point and shoot with a dslr. At least I know in the end, it will end up hurting them much more then it hurts me.

Don't fret. When their **** stinks... they'll come back to you. And if they're too dumb to realize that **** they got stinks... then you don't want them as clients anyway. :sexywink:

BUAHAHAHAHA.... I stole your client LOL JK. I told you most local bands wont pay anything. This is what I learned from CL:
1. bunch of flakers. No phone call no email on the cancelation.
2. dont pay much.

If they come back their not getting the "discounted" rate i gave them. I have a referral program that if your referred to me from another band you get a discount. They just lost it if they come back.

Wow, bad situation. :( Hopefully they learn something about cheap craigslists photographers, as well. They'll be wishing they had stuck with you!

It comes to the point sometimes where I wonder how much of my "extra" expense in shooting is worth it. Things like insurance. Of course my gear is insured, but I'm also insured if ANYTHING goes wrong. I'm even covered if i tell them to take a step back, they fall and break their arm, i'm insured for it. Its added expense that I, of course, have to keep into consideration. Along with all the taxes and paperwork involved in running a LEGITIMATE business. But even if I drop all of that (i wouldn't) trying to compete with someone charging 50 bucks is impossible when you have to pay rent, bills, diapers, and food.

So start going after the clients that DO pay the bills.

Why you are looking on CL is not something I understand. The people who shop there are not the ones I want as customers, PERIOD.

It takes as much time to sell a job for $5,000 as it does to sell one for $50. Why spend any time trying to sell one for $50?

So start going after the clients that DO pay the bills.

Why you are looking on CL is not something I understand. The people who shop there are not the ones I want as customers, PERIOD.

It takes as much time to sell a job for $5,000 as it does to sell one for $50. Why spend any time trying to sell one for $50?

re-read my post. I did not go on craigslist. I LOST a job to a craigslist photographer. The band was refereed to me by another band I shot. They emailed me and said they found someone on craigslist that would shoot cheaper.

...... Now I lost it to a point and shoot with a dslr. At least I know in the end, it will end up hurting them much more then it hurts me.
Isn't that an assumption? Do you know for fact that the $50 whore cannot shoot a decent photo? The loss of business is bad for you, but that's the price of doing business. The $50 whore may get equally screwed. Karma ........ it's a wonderful thing.

re-read my post. I did not go on craigslist. I LOST a job to a craigslist photographer. The band was refereed to me by another band I shot. They emailed me and said they found someone on craigslist that would shoot cheaper.

that's where you went wrong... nobody likes to listen to the ref's :lol:

Your work is really good, so they lost out. Now the door is open for you to get a better gig. Sometimes a loss is a blessing.

I'm working on it. only being in denver 4 months I have so build cliental someplace and I'm used to word of mouth advertising which is what this band was. Moving from a smaller city to a large one is pretty much like starting over. I have to find people, find locations, learn the different aspects of my business here tax and law wise, all while supporting my family. In Fargo I had top notch clients (for fargo). its a bigger ball game here, and I'm adjusting, but it gets frustrating. With the new digital area and the prices on dslr's dropping EVERYONE is a photographer. When I shot film it was so different. You had cost up front just to shoot with film and processing. now anybody can just put an image on a cd for pretty much no cost.

Most reactions

Back