I Hate Having To Depend On Lazy People

Nurd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Before Christmas my fiancé took me to the local (and only) animal shelter to look for a kitten. Every time we would call an ad in the paper the kittens had already been given away so this shelter was our last option.

We filled out paper work for a cat and the lady said in about a week it would be ready to go. The address we put down was his parents house, and we did not write down their home number. Instead we put our cell number since we are trying to move into a new house and are kind of busy.

Weeks pass and no phone call. I started to worry because it was only a couple of days before x-mas and that was going to be my only present. Today on Christmas we went to his parents house for dinner and they told us the animal shelter called. Since they were not at home when they called they missed the call. Just one phone call, and no message.

The thing that is bothering me besides the fact that we were willing to shell out 65 dollars for an animal that was not fixed and did not have shots is how did they find his parents home number? Also If they are so willing to help these animals out, why did they call only once and not leave a message? Why did they not email us? Why did they not call our cell phone?!

It made me so angry that I emailed them and gave them a piece of my mind. I think its ridiculous that they do not take their job seriously enough to help find homes for their animals. We even called twice and no one answered. :grumpy:

I hate depending on lazy people. I also hate getting my hopes up and then stupid little things let them down. Thats basically what 2006 has been all about. :guilty:

I'm sure some of you can relate...

... you just experienced some facts of life here I would say ...

still frustrating, but most of us will have similar experiences

Nurd said:
I hate depending on lazy people. I also hate getting my hopes up and then stupid little things let them down. Thats basically what 2006 has been all about. :guilty:

I am sure you will also find better things if you look back on 2006 :)

:hug::

Well I know they must be busy, but I dont understand why they called a number we didn't even give them.

I hate animal rescues. They are the worst.. I was trying to get a German Shepard from a rescue that had been there for months I filled out all of the paper work and sent it in. I waited a week then called back and the woman informed me that I was denied. I didnt understand why. I had a big back yard for the dog to run around in, my other dog to play with (they had already met and got along) and someone is home all day with the dog. When I asked the woman why she said that I didnt have a fenced in yard. She should would rather have this dog sit in a cage its whole life instead of letting it live in a house that doesnt have a fence. I then informed her that I have invisible fencing and that the dog would go on that. She then starting yelling at me telling me that it is inhumane to put a dog on that because it could kill them because of the high voltage. Me being a smartass told her that I am not putting jumper cables on the dog and that I have tried the fence myself when I first got it so it didnt hurt my dog... She then called me a sick individual who likes pain.... Yes this woman was crazy... She then hung up on me and I never heard from her again... But I found out 2 months later that the dog viciously attacked 2 people at the kennel and had to be put down because it went crazy from being in a cage for a year.

Ripnowell45 said:
I hate animal rescues. They are the worst.. I was trying to get a German Shepard from a rescue that had been there for months I filled out all of the paper work and sent it in. I waited a week then called back and the woman informed me that I was denied. I didnt understand why. I had a big back yard for the dog to run around in, my other dog to play with (they had already met and got along) and someone is home all day with the dog. When I asked the woman why she said that I didnt have a fenced in yard. She should would rather have this dog sit in a cage its whole life instead of letting it live in a house that doesnt have a fence. I then informed her that I have invisible fencing and that the dog would go on that. She then starting yelling at me telling me that it is inhumane to put a dog on that because it could kill them because of the high voltage. Me being a smartass told her that I am not putting jumper cables on the dog and that I have tried the fence myself when I first got it so it didnt hurt my dog... She then called me a sick individual who likes pain.... Yes this woman was crazy... She then hung up on me and I never heard from her again... But I found out 2 months later that the dog viciously attacked 2 people at the kennel and had to be put down because it went crazy from being in a cage for a year.

My, you sure are painting animal rescues services with a broad brush. My wife used to volunteer at the local no-kill shelter and she had to follow the rules that they had in place. I can't tell you how many times she had to spend her own money on food or medicine for the animals. Also all the times she spent all night down there with sick animals. All for no money and often times a lot of grief from people who were inappropriately trying to adopt an animal. I am not sure how you deduced that the Shepard attacked someone because he had been in a cage. Maybe it was the reason it was there in the first place.

digital flower said:
My, you sure are painting animal rescues services with a broad brush.
digital flower said:
I am sorry if I offended you in any way I agree that some are not all bad but the rescues in this area are not very good they are sometimes too strict on the rules that they set in place for adoption. The rescues are different from shelters in my eyes.

digital flower said:
I am not sure how you deduced that the Shepard attacked someone because he had been in a cage. Maybe it was the reason it was there in the first place.

I knew one of the volunteers that worked there and she told us that the vet came and checked out the dog and he said it was from the stress of the dog being in the cage for so long... The dog was not let out to exercise all the often and was in the cage for about 20 a day.

digital flower said:
My, you sure are painting animal rescues services with a broad brush. My wife used to volunteer at the local no-kill shelter and she had to follow the rules that they had in place. I can't tell you how many times she had to spend her own money on food or medicine for the animals. Also all the times she spent all night down there with sick animals. All for no money and often times a lot of grief from people who were inappropriately trying to adopt an animal. I am not sure how you deduced that the Shepard attacked someone because he had been in a cage. Maybe it was the reason it was there in the first place.

Yep, I'm gonna have to agree with this.

I absolutely LOVE my local shelters. When I got my dog back in September, I was doing a lot of research into a few different dogs at two nearby shelters that I was interested in...made multiple visits to both shelters during that time. I can't believe how incredibly caring the ladies who ran both shelters were, along with all the volunteers I came into contact with.

And neither of the shelters keep the dogs in cages at all times either....I have a hard time imagining a shelter doing this, and if they do, they should be investigated. Both places have large outdoor pens that they get to run around in for part of the day. If/when I get another dog, it will no doubt be from one of these rescues.

I know the volunteers do a lot of hard work I was a volunteer once but I don't understand why they turn down people that would actually take care of the animal.

Okay, there could be a rich family whose daughter wants a dog. They have a big house, a nice backyard (with a visible fence lol), all the requirements needed. They give the dog to that little girl..but after a couple of months she wont want it anymore and it will be stuck outside with no one to love it.

On the other hand there could be someone who meets most of the requirements...and they would love the animal forever. Since they arn't up to the shelter's standards they can't get a pet.

They should make up different requirements. I think if it wasn't so freakin hard to adopt a pet then there wouldn't be so many animals in there. -_-

Nurd said:
I know the volunteers do a lot of hard work I was a volunteer once but I don't understand why they turn down people that would actually take care of the animal.

Okay, there could be a rich family whose daughter wants a dog. They have a big house, a nice backyard (with a visible fence lol), all the requirements needed. They give the dog to that little girl..but after a couple of months she wont want it anymore and it will be stuck outside with no one to love it.

On the other hand there could be someone who meets most of the requirements...and they would love the animal forever. Since they arn't up to the shelter's standards they can't get a pet.

They should make up different requirements. I think if it wasn't so freakin hard to adopt a pet then there wouldn't be so many animals in there. -_-
There is absolutely no way to measure how much love a person or family is going to give to an animal. So the people at the shelter have to do the best they can at trying to ensure the animals go to good homes. I'm sure if there was a way to determine the level of dedication people will actually have to that animal, there would be a much lower need for the shelters in the first place.

The least they could do is lower the standards a little. I mean...what does where you work have to do with adopting an animal? Why do you have to list 3 references? Do they really think that if we list some people, the people we list arnt going to sugar coat everything anyways? I mean yeah its good to check the house. Have a backyard (if needed) be able to take care of an animal..but some of the questions they asked were really stupid.

I don't think they are stupid at all. They want to know where you work for various reason...the most obvious being, if you have a job that will demand too much of your time, or that may require you to up and move, you may not be a good candidate. Some people's jobs keep them away from home for a good part of the day....one of my best friends works 12 hour shifts, plus travel time. And if I were in the shelter director's shoes...heck yeah I'm gonna check references.

And as for the other questions....they aren't necessarily there to totally deny or accept you as an adopter...they are also there to make sure that particular dog is a right fit for you. It's unbelievable how many people do not do their research into how well a breed will fit into their lives...they want a specific breed because they think it's 'cool' and they don't even think about the fact that maybe it's a breed that is too highly active for the time they are willing to put into exercising it.

Such as the 'do you have a fenced in backyard' question.

I did a lot of research before I got my dog....I don't have a yard at all...but I chose a dog with a temperment suited to living in my apartment.

Nurd said:
The least they could do is lower the standards a little. I mean...what does where you work have to do with adopting an animal? Why do you have to list 3 references?

Because they certainly had their bad experience with ppl who looked nice and friendly and then did beat that puppy they just adopted to death ... or let is starve to death. Such things happen and hence people are more careful and try to find ways ... which might not always be the most sensible ways though I have to admit.

Yeah it sucks. I dont understand why people would get an animal and just ignore it. But I guess its the same as people having kids and then just ignoring them or beating them.

Also sucks that its not kitten season (or so my mom calls it lol) I would get an older cat but the ones at the adoption center were special needs cats and I dont know if we'd have enough money to afford their meds. :(

Oh, they had these HUGE cats there. The biggest cats I have ever seen in my life. We were about to get a grey one but kitty wasn't too nice :'(

Most reactions

Back