voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The company I work for employs about 4500 people in 5 different buildings on a single block (there are a lot more employees at other locations) Last night I thought of a great idea to open a coffee cart here and quit this techsupport position that I hate so much.

Well I emailed the facilities manager today with my idea and she emailed me back that starbucks is opening the first of January. :irked: :pissed:

I've never liked starbucks for what they are and what they stand for. According to a friend of mine who worked there, their mission statement basically says to saturate the market and be the only coffee that people drink. They don't care about making quality espresso drinks. It shows too. All they want is to put every other coffee shop out of business. They flash roast their coffee and charge way too much.

I haven't been this upset in a long time. :pissed:

Do it anyway, then!! Make your product better, more personalized, and undercut the bastards!!!! :twisted:

You can do it!!!

Well I was thinking of that. Obviously I couldn't do it in the building. I'd have to buy a cart and generator and do it outside on the street next to the hot dog vendor. Plus since I work here and know the people I could just tell them to make sure everyone comes to me.

YEAH DUDE!!!! undercut. its the american way brother.

remember what my good friend tyler durden says:

"How much can you really know about yourself if youve never been in a fight?"

md

fight for your right to sell quality bean to people!!!

It's a good idea.....could you load up some java and goodies and move about the building as well?? Seriously, I think more people would be prone to buying from a single guy than the Starbucks machine....I know I would, fo' shizzle!!

terri said:
It's a good idea.....could you load up some java and goodies and move about the building as well?? Seriously, I think more people would be prone to buying from a single guy than the Starbucks machine....I know I would, fo' shizzle!!

you said fo'shizzle.

:lol:
md

I would buy from a person I knew. But in all honestly as bad as this sounds strangers typically would go to starbucks first....

Nobody trusts anyone anymore...

I totally agree that you should try it anyway (provided you have the means to make that initial investment, of course). I think most people prefer non-Starbucks coffee, and especially prefer buying from an indy, but most people drink Starbucks simply because it's everywhere and easy to get. But if given the choice, I know I would always take the other guy if it was just as convenient.

if i were u, i wouldnt quit the job just yet, make the investment, pay someone $10 bucks an hour (or whatever the going rate is in your town) to sell if for u for about 2 months ... see how it goes

if it doesnt work out, u didnt quite ur job, sell the equiptment and regroup... or try another venture. ... perhaps go into your own tech support/related venture? :?

If I was a month earlier I could have had a spot inside the building....

one of the problems i forsee is when it gets over 100F here... Maybe I should start looking at other large companies and see if they have an espresso bar.

I say go for it and make a real big deal out of it and see if starbucks will but you out and you make lotza money that way. (or just stand outside w/ a coffee pot giving it away so they at least won't make any money)

tr0gd0o0r said:
I say go for it and make a real big deal out of it and see if starbucks will but you out and you make lotza money that way. (or just stand outside w/ a coffee pot giving it away so they at least won't make any money)

Boom. there ya go. undercut the bastards.

md

one of the problems i forsee is when it gets over 100F here.

You mean, because you'd be stuck outside, or because of the main product you're selling? The latter is not a problem; add ice or cold milk and it's iced coffee or latte....you could even sell a little ice cream. But the outside venue thing might be an issue, you're right. Any thoughts on that??

And is there some kind of covenant that Starbucks has that is keeping you from selling a similar product INSIDE? It sounds like such a large compound where you're at.

do it! a lot of people hate starbucks it seems... so you should be the rebellious alternative centred on customer service and quality and you should call yourself 'BarSTucks' :D :D :D :D
If i liked coffee, i'd buy from you.
oh yeah, and if i was in america too.
...and worked nearby. :)

Most reactions

Back