I hate these kind of posts!

GotSense?

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
And im sure alot of yall do to... Hello, Im a senior this year in high school and it is time for me to start thinking about what im going to be doing as a career. I know that im very interested in Graphic design, and have been doing so for about 4 years. I would like to expand that into photography. I believe they both go hand in hand and could further more improve my graphic design as well. Im looking for a great camera for close ups and landscape pictures.I have been doing so much research the last few weeks and now im just so crammed full with options, i think it is time to ask people with experience. I have narrowed my choices down to the Canon rebel xt, Nikon d50, or the D70.Im really not sure what the difference is betweeen the d50 and d70 except for the price and a few different options. Im not trying to spend more then around 800 and down the road i will upgrade the lens and get filters and goodies. I do have some minor experience with film cameras because my dad has a few but doesnt know much about dslr. Im just looking for a good starter dslr camera, and when i start taking it more seriously, it will be able to perform beautifuly. Thanks for any help you may serve!

Well out of your 3 choices I'd definitely recommend the D70 as the top one of the bunch. I'd go into the differences and advantages / disadvantages of all of them, but I'm feeling kind of lazy right now :lol: I'm sure someone else will be willing to go into more detail.

Check out the reviews for those cameras over at www.dpreview.com . They usually have very comprehensive reviews.

Well, I was in the same boat as you not long ago. I got a Nikon D50, very very pleased with it but I suppose that in the not too distant future they will be out dated, so I'd probably go with the D70 although I'm not sure whether they're all that different.

The one thing I would say is that don't narrow your self down to doing just close up and landscape photography. I mean all aspects of photography are fun and are all worth ago. And close up and landscape photography are total opposites :lol:

I started out with a Sigma 28-200mm lens, which is great for pretty much everything, but later on down the line you'll probably want a prime lens, 50mm is a good option in my opinion..

Good luck. I'd go to the shop and try a few cameras out (if thats alowed) as I've heard the Canon Rebel XT is good, although I've never tried one. And read the reviews on dpreview.com, if you haven't already :wink:

Welcome to TPF by the way :thumbup:

GotSense? said:
I do have some minor experience with film cameras because my dad has a few but doesnt know much about dslr.

What cameras does your dad have? I'd let that influence my decision, since you may be able to share lenses.

Digital Matt said:
What cameras does your dad have? I'd let that influence my decision, since you may be able to share lenses.

Its nothing new haha, its a Nikon EM model. I doubt the lens are compatibale with todays cameras. Thanks everyone for yalls advice more is welcome, still trying to decide :x

GotSense? said:
Its nothing new haha, its a Nikon EM model. I doubt the lens are compatibale with todays cameras. Thanks everyone for yalls advice more is welcome, still trying to decide :x

Actually, old Nikon lenses are compatible with new Nikon bodies, including the new digital bodies. I wouldn't overlook that. What lenses does he have?

80-200mm and a 50mm... so are you implying i could just buy a d70 or d50 body and save money? haha

yes i would definatley go with Nikon in that case...... the D50 is great, i have one.... or if you can afford the D70s by all means look at getting that..... or if you have a bit more to spend look into the new D80.

There's one problem with old manual focus lenses on nikon digital bodies, though. On the D70 and D50 (maybe the D80 too, I'm not sure) the light meter will not function unless you have a compatible autofocus lens. But you can still shoot manual and use the histogram as a guide for your exposure. Now that I've been shooting digital lately I've found myself ignoring the meter altogether and just adjusting my exposure until things are right. Just something to think about.

Put the money you save on buying a kit lens towards a handheld light meter. It's a great investment anyway. Get a combo ambient/flash meter with spot.

Unimaxium said:
There's one problem with old manual focus lenses on nikon digital bodies, though. On the D70 and D50 (maybe the D80 too, I'm not sure) the light meter will not function unless you have a compatible autofocus lens. But you can still shoot manual and use the histogram as a guide for your exposure. Now that I've been shooting digital lately I've found myself ignoring the meter altogether and just adjusting my exposure until things are right. Just something to think about.

Yea i believe the lens we currently have are not autofocus. I believe im going the road of just buying a d70 body only for the time being. How does this plan sound, and how are the lens i have right now as in sizes?

GotSense? said:
Yea i believe the lens we currently have are not autofocus. I believe im going the road of just buying a d70 body only for the time being. How does this plan sound, and how are the lens i have right now as in sizes?

They are great sizes. The 50mm is a great lens to start off with. You'll eventually probably want something wider, nearer to 28mm, but for now, you'll be in good shape. Just take lots of pictures.

Most reactions

Back