I HATE WINDOWS VISTA

Today's linux distributions can cope fairly well with laptops ... seen ubuntu linux working fine on several and SuSe

I had Ubuntu Linux on it for a few days. It was very fast (its a dual-core laptop), but the wireless card was not supported properly, which kind of defeats the purpose of it being a laptop... I'll probably try a few other distros in due time.

I had Ubuntu Linux on it for a few days. It was very fast (its a dual-core laptop), but the wireless card was not supported properly, which kind of defeats the purpose of it being a laptop... I'll probably try a few other distros in due time.

I used SuSE 10 for a good long time before my HD died on me...

At first I didn't really like vista, it still has some problems, but then again so did XP in it's first year. Now I'm warming up to it once I got hold of all the admin tools and learned how to use them to my advantage ;) . One thing I still hate is that the idiots raised the system restore storage to 15% of your HDD (no you can't change that unlike XP, yet anyway) that's almost 30GB for me (morons), so it's slowly eating away at my HDD right now till it reaches 15% then it will stabilize, but still 30GB!!!! jeez, I could turn SR off and do it manually, not sure if I want to do that. Other than that it seems to be a pretty stable OS so far.

Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba laptop p105-S9337
Core 2 Duo 2GHz 4MB cache
677MHz FSB
2GB 677Mhz DDR2 RAM
200GB (4200RPM = Booooooo, the only thing I hate about this laptop) HDD
NVIDIA 7900 with 256MB dedicated but apparently it can steal some more from the system if needed.
17" Trubrite WXGA+ (alphabet soup to me but it's a pretty good screen).
Good battery life for a 17" monster too, a bit over 2 hours. My old laptop was another Toshiba 15.4" Centrino 1.4GHz/512MB RAM with STILL over 5 hours of battery life.

I have good hopes for Vista 64bit edition. But i'm gonna wait till a SP is released first before jumping. Then hopefully more programs will truely take advantage of 64bit computing!

But for vista users, you know you can turn off those annoying prompts to make sure your not doing something that you haven't clicked on right?

The real reason I like linux... it's not actually less frustrating than windows for me. I spend just as much time yelling at the machine, but A) I can usually find the solution, and B) It's usually a mistake I made rather than the computer deciding it knows what I want better than I do. Also, even when I screw it up Really, Really Bad, I can usually start over without losing anything important. (Because even though I should know better, I don't back up like I should.)

I have to admit I do want a mac to add to the collection though.

i don't own any vista machines, although I've used them a little...If I had the choice I'd probably still get XP pro (which in my opinion is quite good, at least for what I do).

I shouldnt' have too much vista worries in the future...i love my desktop and just bought a mac book pro, so that kinda makes the possiblilty of using vista a little smaller :)

i am in a computer fixing up-er class in school, we played around with vista for a day, but right now it just doesnt seem to be worth it with a lot of trouble it has giving everyone. But then again a kid brought in his lap top with vista on it and it worked great. So i guess it is like anyother computer product in the world, it doesnt work when you need it too

You know what would be really great. A version of OSX for PC'S.

Apple should just make that available and within 5 years everyone would be using it.

You know what would be really great. A version of OSX for PC'S.

Apple should just make that available and within 5 years everyone would be using it.

There is a modified version called OSx86. Look it up

Oh, and I would avoid Mac OS like the plague. I can't stand it...

Most reactions

Back