I hate working for people

Imagemaker46: I appreciate your openness and direct speech - no point hiding your viewpoint. I'm one of the "amateurs wanting to turn pro-ish" and have waited millennia for the opportunity, i.e. semi-retirement. Now I have the gear and the time and some ability, I hope that by listening to the opinions here (yours included) that I will learn a few tricks and shortcuts.

Heated (?) debate always helps people arrive at some conclusion which is either going to be helpful or not. Up to them to read the arguments/opinions and make their own decisions, but without the discussion they have nothing to go on.

I'm at the point of deciding whether to pay some money to PhotoShelter and showcase my work there in the hopes of doing some business.

So, changing the subject slightly, has anyone got good/bad/indifferent experiences of PhotoShelter they would like to share with me?

I can only speak from my personal experiences after using photoshelter for just over a year, it's been perfect for my needs. The other photo agency that I have been working with also uses photoshelter, and it has been a positive for them as well. If you have any questions they will get back to you with answers within 24 hours. When the have scheduled upgrades they are usually short in duration and let you know days in advance. It's been all positive for me.

Bitter Jeweler said:
Yes, everyone does have to start somewhere.
But is buying a camera and starting a "business" WHILE you are still learning, the right way to do it?

I totally agree with you two!

It's bad for everybody when someone claims to be a pro and doesn't have the skills, knowledge or equipment to do the job! It devalues the pros...
I am not worried about amateurs taking my work. I have a lot more problems trying to fix what so called "pros" have done to my local market.

bennielou said:
But getting back to the OP. If you don't like it. Don't do it. If you don't like working for people, they will know it. Go shoot something that doesn't involve people. Tons of people have made money doing stock work, Photojournalism, Catelog, Commercial......alll things that don't involve people (or at least to a lesser extent)

You deal with a lot of people in commercial and catalog work. Art directors, stylists, account execs., etc..... For even s small commercial shoot I can end up dealing with 6+ people not including my staff or any models.
If you don't want to deal with people, do stock or landscapes.

Just a few things to mix the pot...

If you don't like dealing with people get out of photography and maybe start fishing.
If you think spending money on gear is a hassle, get out of photography. It's always been expensive even before digital...
If you are feeling pressure from a hobby weekend guy, maybe it's time to up your image game.

Sure it sucks that some random guy can walk into a camera store and blow 5K on gear and try to sell himself as a professional... Will he get a few jobs, sure people are always looking for a good deal. Will he get more business from that client, doubt it. these people have always been around, this isn't new. First was the canon AE-1 with the program mode, then digital, and I'm sure there will be more technical advances that will make it easier for the beginner. Hey if it were up to me we'd still shoot everything on 8x10 cameras with E-6.

Being "professional" means being able to walk into any situation and make a good image, and also being able to tell the client no when you know you can't make a good image. Better to turn down a job then to blow it.

Well this is a revived older pos and I didn't read all the posts on this, but here's my viewpoint on this. Showing up and shooting for free on speculation is no way to make money. That is one of the worst business models around for photographers. You should be setting a minimum fee for taking the pictures plus print sales.

If they want you to show up and shoot, then it should cost them. Otherwise you are just another fan with a camera and there is no value to your photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back