I havd D50, Which Flash And Lense Would You recomend For Portraits

I have Nikon D50, Which Flash And Lense Would You Recommend For Portraits?
thanks.

Based on what you asked.....

Lenses:
Nikon 24-70 f2.8
and
Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR

Flashes:
SB-800
2x SB-600's

My response is to prove a point......it's important to specify your budget when asking for equipment recommendations.

If he wanted to go bottom dollar, the 50mm f/1.8 would be a good lens for a little over $100 and the SB600 for about $175. The combination would produce some pretty nice portraits.

If he wanted to go bottom dollar, the 50mm f/1.8 would be a good lens for a little over $100 and the SB600 for about $175. The combination would produce some pretty nice portraits.

I agree completely and have used this setup for portrait sessions myself. But the 50mm focal length becomes very limiting...very fast when trying certain shots. I ran into a couple of shots shooting down on a baby from above and the 50mm length required me to get out a chair and stand and I still couldn't quite get the entire shot exactly how I wanted it. It's a fantastic lens but definitely not without it's limitations.

I agree completely and have used this setup for portrait sessions myself. But the 50mm focal length becomes very limiting...very fast when trying certain shots. I ran into a couple of shots shooting down on a baby from above and the 50mm length required me to get out a chair and stand and I still couldn't quite get the entire shot exactly how I wanted it. It's a fantastic lens but definitely not without it's limitations.

He makes a good point, it does have it's limitations. But for the money it is a fast and tack sharp lens, what more could you ask for?

He makes a good point, it does have it's limitations. But for the money it is a fast and tack sharp lens, what more could you ask for?

:thumbup: Definitely a must have in your bag in my opinion although mine will probably see frequent use now that I've gotten the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. A moving 1 1/2 year old is much easier to catch good shots of with the ability to zoom.

:thumbup: Definitely a must have in your bag in my opinion although mine will probably see frequent use now that I've gotten the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. A moving 1 1/2 year old is much easier to catch good shots of with the ability to zoom.

Amen to that. I have to try to catch two hyperactive dogs plowing through the snow in the yard, fast focus and zoom are a must!

In most cases you give up a bit of IQ to get that zoom so that is why some people will only use prime lens.

what do you guys think about nikor 18-200 VR lense? I also would like to do street photography,taking pictures of hot women in NY:), so a nice zoom is must for that, but would i also be able to take good portraits with that lense?

Cant remember who says it on this forum but someone says the zooms like 18-200 are basically swiss army knives. They can do everything, but just not do it well. I would say it's better to have a few lenses that can specialize at things, rather than one that tries to do everything.

i have had great results with the D50's 18-55 kit lens. the sb-600 produces enough light to get past the lens' 3.5 minimum aperture. Just playing with the flash, it was on "loan"

DSC_0519.jpg

Last edited:
SB-800 and a 50mm 1.8

But then again, I'm a bit biased since that's what I use!

Most reactions

Back