I have a job interview coming up (Animal photography)..need a few tips

I think you are a dummy but not for the reason you might think. I don't know if you missed this part in the original post:

They said they want someone who knows photoshop at an intermediate level.

so really your opinion about what makes a good image matters not one whit when the potential employer asks for a certain skill you either have it you lie about it and fudge your way through or you don't get the job.

WTF ever. You obviously started running off your mouth before even reading clearly or thinking about my post so I won't even bother with any more of a response.

Good luck to the OP.

What do you mean turn them down??? the guy is going for a job interview he wants the job turn them down would imply they need him in wich case what would be the point of the interview. The place can require whatever they want for whatever reasons they want if someone is qualified and accepts the offer of a job so be it. Besides I am sure if this guy "turns them down" there will be ten other guys in line to take the same job for half the money just for experience.

Yes, turn them down. A simple, "I am really interested in the job, but I believe that my photography should speak for itself. I will leave you my portfolio and I will call you back in a couple of days to see if you are interested in working together."

Just like any other profession in the world, the person with the skill drives the market. If you are willing to submit to unreasonable demands and low wages, then the market responds accordingly. That is what drove the invention of collective bargaining.

I am not sure how many interviews you have been on, but appearing or desperate to get a job is a sure way to get taken avantage of.

I just had an interview last month and I made the company pay for my airline ticket, hotel and rental car. They are the ones with the need to fill. If someone else is willing to do it for the experience, then so be it. That is a sure sign of an amateur. At least you will still have your pride and self-worth.

Well, Friday I'm gonna go, and they will see if they like my pictures. If not, there will be other oppertunities, later. I'll just have to stick with working at the grochery store for my lens money...

Well, Friday I'm gonna go, and they will see if they like my pictures. If not, there will be other oppertunities, later.

That's a good attitude to have about the whole thing.

focus is one of the main things. If you have a small zoom lens, you can stand back a little and it should blur some of the photo out behind the dog. I was looking at dogs about 3 months ago and it seemed like this was the only dog their and it was for me.

Look at online anmal pics and also other shelters. See how they are doing it and if you know the basics behind how to imitate those various styles.

Be ready to discuss or show them different thoughts. Turn it into a "here is what I can do for you" from a "here is what we need" kind of interview and the moment you do that 2 things happen...

- you take control of the interview and pull things into your way

- you show them that there are many ways of doing things and some may be better than they are doing now.

Do something that makes you stand out from the other 50 people standing in line for that job. Don't be afraid to show off your best points, your enthusiasm and willingness to use this job as a way to grow your skills to the next level... becuase as you do that, THEY get the benefit of all your growth!

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back