I have a problem...

Yemme

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love architectural photography. At times I photograph great sculpted pieces on buildings and when I do I can’t be alone. Sculptures give me the heebe jeebes. Actually any artifact that towers over me I’ve notice I’m chicken sh*t. I never had this feeling in my life just when I started photography. I look through the lens and I sometimes freeze in fear. Why I don’t know. Does anyone have any fears such as this, something you could not bring yourself to shoot from fear? Does anyone have any pointers? I can’t always depend on a sidekick.

Hmm, I am quite the opposite.

Even with a lens in between me and some real danger, that danger gets irrelevant. This is not good, I know, but I realised it with some aggressive wildlife where without a camera I would have run away probably ;)

As for large artificial structures, when behind the camera, I love in particular those perspectives which make them look towering, oppressive, and make me feel small and vulnerable.

I am not of great help here, right? ;)

Hmm, have any buddy who would accompany you while shooting? But as you said, you cannot always bother people to come with you ... and it soed not get better the more you expose yourself to it? Normally people get used to anything ...

Wow... not sure what to say. Buildings in general do not scare me, but I do get the old puckered anus feeling when shooting from the top of a building downwards if it is more than say 20 stories high or something like from the top of a high ferris wheel at a carnival... still it would not cause me to freeze, just be more careful.

What exactly do you find scary about it enough that it causes you to freeze?

I would seek psychiatric help.

hmm not sure
Only one building has "scared me" when looking up at it -and that was that big square thing the French built - strange looking thing it is (you know the one that is in line with all those other things in Paris)

hmm not sure
Only one building has "scared me" when looking up at it -and that was that big square thing the French built - strange looking thing it is (you know the one that is in line with all those other things in Paris)

You mean at La Défense ? I love that thing :)

Ive definitly never had that happen to me, im in the same boat as Alex, i feel safe behind my camera.....too safe.

Cant help you sorry. I will look over cliffs and shoot a pic of it. Fact is I sometimes hang off of cliffs to get shots. The only thing I fear is losing the right to shoot in public.

Buildaphobia?
Ornataphobia?
Sculptaphobia?

:D

I mean no offense, Yemme, but when I read that sculptures gave you the heebie jeebies, I was like, "Doctor Who, anyone?" (Don't Blink!) :oops: You're from NY, so I'm not sure if you'd understand...

I can't really give advice. I, like Alex, Funky, and Joves, get altogether too comfortable behind my camera lens. I've looked at pictures a week after I took them and will just think to myself, "What was I thinking when I took that shot?!"

You mentioned that you don't get scared when you're with other people? Maybe bring other people a lot, then tell them that when you are suitably immersed in your work, they should very quietly sneak away...?

Hmm, I am quite the opposite.

Even with a lens in between me and some real danger, that danger gets irrelevant. This is not good, I know, but I realised it with some aggressive wildlife where without a camera I would have run away probably ;)

As for large artificial structures, when behind the camera, I love in particular those perspectives which make them look towering, oppressive, and make me feel small and vulnerable.

I am not of great help here, right? ;)

Hmm, have any buddy who would accompany you while shooting? But as you said, you cannot always bother people to come with you ... and it soed not get better the more you expose yourself to it? Normally people get used to anything ...

Um... thanks Alex:lol:.. You are so helpful. Maybe I'll get use to it.

Wow... not sure what to say. Buildings in general do not scare me, but I do get the old puckered anus feeling when shooting from the top of a building downwards if it is more than say 20 stories high or something like from the top of a high ferris wheel at a carnival... still it would not cause me to freeze, just be more careful.

What exactly do you find scary about it enough that it causes you to freeze?

I have to use that line one day.:lol:

It's just a over whelming feeling of any artifact that is creepy or old I should say. I can't really explain it. Some things creep me out yes. Like the vanishan bedroom I think that’s in the MET, I will never go into that room. But as of late I notice if I look through the lens for a close up of sculpture that’s at the top of a building I see the aging, the stains, the cracks… It creeps me out to the point where I freeze. I can’t even focus on it long to get a good shot. I’m not sure what it is but I never paid much attention to detail. Now I do and that triggers something. What I don't know.

I mean no offense, Yemme, but when I read that sculptures gave you the heebie jeebies, I was like, "Doctor Who, anyone?" (Don't Blink!) :oops: You're from NY, so I'm not sure if you'd understand...

I can't really give advice. I, like Alex, Funky, and Joves, get altogether too comfortable behind my camera lens. I've looked at pictures a week after I took them and will just think to myself, "What was I thinking when I took that shot?!"

You mentioned that you don't get scared when you're with other people? Maybe bring other people a lot, then tell them that when you are suitably immersed in your work, they should very quietly sneak away...?

No I don't get the joke...:lol: But I laughed anyway.

I might try your suggestion but usually I have them right next to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back