I have a question about how filters work with film cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it's possible a filter would effect how black fabric renders on the film. Usually, though, relative to other colors in the scene.

For what it's worth, if I had new equipment that, and I wanted to test how it affected black material, I would probably use a similar technique. Getting close to the material, to fill the frame with it would give you a better meter reading, and taking close up photos of it would help you see the detail better.

And would you use a black bathing suit that was being worn by a 15-year-old girl? Or would you test it out on something else?

For what it's worth, if I had new equipment that, and I wanted to test how it affected black material, I would probably use a similar technique. Getting close to the material, to fill the frame with it would give you a better meter reading, and taking close up photos of it would help you see the detail better.

Is this gentleman still alive? If not, then you need to let go of some of this. Are you in therapy? If so, you need to discuss this with your therapist and not a photography forum IMO. I'm not at all dismissing your feelings but your feelings are your feelings. At this point in time some decades later, there's nothing to be done with the images or whether there was film in the camera or not. Any images he might have accumulated would appear mild to most viewers in today's world and probably even back then.

You've obviously carried this with you for decades and it's time for you to work out your suspicions, hopefully with some professional guidance, and let go of what has been eating at you. Otherwise, such attitudes toward you, your body and other people's attitudes about both will continue to interfere with your life.

Your position, IMO, is not really unlike that of the young children abused by those religious figures of authority. Did the camp sanction or in some way protect this individual? Did this individual actually touch you in ways you found uncomfortable? Our memories of childhood events aren't always fact. But there's certainly more to this discussion than can be answered on a forum.

Good luck. Here's wishing you peace with those issues disturbing your life.

From the description by the OP, there are lots of ways of "testing" filters without being 1" from a 15-year old's breast. So from my reading, the guy was a creep. And if he was a creep, she's probably not the only one he "tested his filters" on. Yazoobelle, your doubts about his reasons are, in my opinion, quite well founded. However, it does make a difference if the event occurred last year or thirty years ago. If recent, then keeping an eye out for this individual and his pattern of behaviour may be useful. If thirty years ago, then it's an unpleasant episode that needs to be reconciled in some way if it's bothering you.

As a father of three daughters, this kind of thing does gets discussed by us. My wife and I tried to give our girls awareness of how things actually worked in the world, and that there are some people who are to be given a wide berth. During their growing up period, there were some incidents of stalking and voyeurism that we found out about, but fortunately they all had enough sense to do the right thing under the circumstances (including reporting to the police and the school authorities). Unfortunately, it continues to be true that vigilance and awareness is constantly required.

One warning people. One.
Keep the discussion at least reasonably photography related or take it to PM's.

I think the OP has gotten the technical answer regarding the situation.

What she chooses to do with the information is up to her and no one else. Offering conjecture and opinions does not help the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back