I have a question for those who might know ....

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I assume this is the wrong place for this, so no need to point it out even tho someone will lol. I'm interested in some continuos lighting but not sure what kind to get. FYI this is for video not photos. We have an LED light that is too blue and what I assume is a tungsten lamp we have is too warm in color. The main dilema is that we have invested a lot in these already so if someone has a tip on possible adjustment to the light for a more acurate WB other than the in camcorder settings (which I've tried all settings) I assume we need to invest in some new lighting and I think fluorescent is the way we are going to go. What do you guys think ?

Does your camcorder have no wb adjustments?

If it does, it would be cheaper to add to one set of lights you already have. Whatever you do, I doubt that fluo is the way to go. I've never used them for video work but I imagine they give you the same weird color cast as in photography. Not to forget that the bulbs' temperature can vary from bulb to bulb.

Does your camcorder have no wb adjustments?

If it does, it would be cheaper to add to one set of lights you already have. Whatever you do, I doubt that fluo is the way to go. I've never used them for video work but I imagine they give you the same weird color cast as in photography. Not to forget that the bulbs' temperature can vary from bulb to bulb.
And the temperature of flourescent lighting varies as the voltage swings through 60 hertz which can conflict with the frame rate of your video.

Well if you have two lights with different colour temperature then no matter what you do with WB in camera it won't be right. You have to make all the lights the same temperature then you can correct in camera. As KmH said, using gels on the lights can correct the colour cast one way or another. If you're just usign these two lights and not much ambient light you should be able to just gel one to match the other.

I assume this is the wrong place for this, so no need to point it out even tho someone will lol. I'm interested in some continuos lighting but not sure what kind to get. FYI this is for video not photos. We have an LED light that is too blue and what I assume is a tungsten lamp we have is too warm in color. The main dilema is that we have invested a lot in these already so if someone has a tip on possible adjustment to the light for a more acurate WB other than the in camcorder settings (which I've tried all settings) I assume we need to invest in some new lighting and I think fluorescent is the way we are going to go. What do you guys think ?

Lighting is an all depend scenario. Also, what type of video camera are you using?. If you are using a prosumer video camcoder you will have to do color correction in post production. Now if you are trying to light a scene and your intentions are to make it look like film, then I will need to know the type of equipment you are using to see if it even possible to achieve. Only few prosumer camcoder can achieve this other than DSLR's with video capability.

You will need to know how to use the manual settings on your video camara as well as to properyl warm the location with lights.

Just my 2'cents.

Sorry for a way overdue reply, but i have been extremely busy.

This is what we are doing:
We are shooting video against a white backdrop (often with black drapes on the side, or color drapes upon the rare ocasion) with a camcorder that streams the video to our software that pulls photos from the video.

There is no post production possible, so we have to gain a white background (rather than yellow or blue) right off the bat. I know this is an imperfect world, but close to perfect will do!

The in camcorder manual WB doesnt work correctly and our images often come out too warm when usuing florescent lighting or too blue when using led lighting. They dont diffuse the light at all and i think we should use at least three lights (like studio shooting) to gain a proper exposure and i think we should invest in new lighting.

Based on this, what would you guys recomend since im new to lighting?

Also, the company that makes our LED doesnt offer GELS to adjust WB and i cant figure what or where to get gels for the light. Should we have a beauty dish over the florescent bulb?

This is a lot, but all help is as always .... greatly apreciated!

That's what I'm thinking. Should we continue to invest in LED or should we go another way?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back