I have a small proposal....

Discussion in 'The Photo Challenge' started by triggerhappy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. triggerhappy

triggerhappy TPF Noob!

I think it would be really great if we could add titles to our competition photos. It strikes me that a title to a photo can really help the viewer understand the concept in the mind of the photographer. I don't mean physically on the photo, but below it, next to the photo number.

What do you all think?

2. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Twist may want to shoot you for the idea, but it sounds ok to me. :)

3. LittleMan

LittleMan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    haha... I don't think it would be too hard to do on Twist's part... maybe... I really don't know..... oh well.... I think this is a cheap post.... never mind.... :?

4. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is an interesting idea, but the big thing is that I really doubt that most people would include a caption and unless they all had one I wouldn't want to go with it. Surprisingly quit a few people don't include their usernames when submitting photos let alone including some kinda caption or explanation.

I'll edit this monthÂ’s challenge post and ask people to title their photos if they like. If enough people do so I'll consider adding the titles in when posting the submitted photos.

5. triggerhappy

triggerhappy TPF Noob!

Thanks, that sounds like a very sensible way to approach it.

6. tmpadmin

tmpadmin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    doesn't it depend on the photo and the style of the photographer? I like to not label my photographs as I believe they speak for themselves. I may say something obvious about it like "man knee deep in mud" but you would know that by looking at the photo. Personally I wouldn't care if mine (unlabeled) was next to another labeled photo.

7. triggerhappy

triggerhappy TPF Noob!

That's how I feel. I like to label some of my pictures, but certainly not all of them. For me, the ideal situation would be if we were allowed, but not compelled, to label them.

8. themonko

themonko TPF Noob!

What if we had another contest to name the winning photo of the month before??

Personally, I think this contest is all about the photography...not the naming of the photography. But, if I ever decide to enter one of these contest, I wouldn't mind if someone else titled their photo while I didn't.

9. JackTheTripper

JackTheTripper TPF Noob!

But it's already been titled. Last months winner was titled "Imperfect" as were all the entries, no?

10. tmpadmin

tmpadmin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is very true. And for this month's submissions the only title needed should be "Black & White". So your label is already picked for you, you just need to conform to that label. This is basically how I viewed the spirit of the contest.

11. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

How about adding a small black or white line at the top or bottom of your image and use Photoshop to add your title there? Twist wouldn't have to worry about copying and typing titles and people who wanted one show it to people when they view the image.

12. DarkEyes

DarkEyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    JUst A personal preference here, but I like to leave my work untitled to allow the viewer to interpret the image in thier own way.