I HAVE A TECHNICAL QUESTION :)

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I acquired a canon 200e speedlite and i was wondering if anyone knew if it would function with my 5d? i put the flash on and it works but the photos are REALLY washed out. Any help is appreciated !!!!!

You will probably have to manually set the flash and compensation.

EDIT: seems like it should work but you can always set the exposure compensation manually

I will do some digging and see what I can find.

Seems like it should work. In your camera settings it should have external flash settings. TTL should be on. If this is not available you may have to manually adjusting the exposure.

Sorry i cant be more helpfull.:er:

Edit:

I just checked, no downloadable manual for the 200e. It's canon's cheapest flash. I think you wasted your money. From looking at www.canonusa.com I don't believe the 200e is compatable with the 5D. Even though it flashes, it probably can't TTL or sync. Do the contacts on the bottom of the flash line up with the contacts on the hot shoe?

Last edited:
Edit:

I just checked, no downloadable manual for the 200e. It's canon's cheapest flash. I think you wasted your money. From looking at www.canonusa.com I don't believe the 220e is compatable with the 5D. Even though it flashes, it probably can't TTL or sync. Do the contacts on the bottom of the flash line up with the contacts on the hot shoe?

four pegs with a fith in front just like the hot shoe. weird

Seems like it should work. In your camera settings it should have external flash settings. TTL should be on. If this is not available you may have to manually adjusting the exposure.

Sorry i cant be more helpfull.:er:

true. thanks

Here is a thread for use of the Canon 200e flash on an EOS 20D....as KmH suggested, it will not do TTL or any type of automatic flash control, but this fellow has used one on his 20D in manual mode.

Canon XSi and old Speedlite 200E? - PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photo Forum

You will need to adjust the lens's f/stop, or the sensor's ISO, for different focus distances if you use it as an on-camera flash. You could always make a cheat-sheet to give you a good starting point at common distances like 5,7,9,10,12,15,20 feet and ISO 100-200 and 400.

Like shortballer suggests, it could be used as an off-camera flash,and in that role it'd still work.

Only speedlights that end in EX will work with e-TTL flash metering on Canon digital SLRs.

Most reactions

Back