I have about $500, what DSLR should I get?

Trenton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I could save up another $100 in a month but thats it.... so MAYBE $600, but still what should i get?

Is the D40 even worth it?

Well, if the D40 is all you can afford, then it is worth it. The only thing about the D40 that's not so hot is the lens compatibility issues; but that might not be a problem for you.

P.S. Thanks for swiping my name. :[

Are there any better cameras near $600?

Haha sorry. :D

I managed to find a Canon Rebel XTi/400D and stock lens used for $525 and I love it. I've heard some great things about the Nikon D40 too. The problem with it though is, like Trenton said, the limited range of lenses that will autofocus. That would put me off of the camera myself because it limits you to more expensive, small expansion.

The Canon XTi or Nikon D40 will be your best bets IMO. Start with one of those. When you get it, tell us how much extra money you have & we'll tell you how to spend it :)

Canon Rebel XTi/400D would be better? And more lenses are available that auto focus on it? I could spend that much for it..

The Canon XTi or Nikon D40 will be your best bets IMO. Start with one of those. When you get it, tell us how much extra money you have & we'll tell you how to spend it :)

Haha okay. Thanks.

Are there any better cameras near $600?

YES! There are! ;) It doesn't even have AF. It's feature stripped and it's based on 7 year old CCD technology. :( Everyone is brainwashed into thinking that the d40 and XTi are good for some strange reason.

Get on a review sight like www.dpreview.com and check it out. d40 is probably the worst you can get for your $600.

Seriously... if you are on a budget, check out the K200D pentax. Lots of bang for the buck.. more so than options from Nikon and Canon.

Canon Rebel XTi/400D would be better? And more lenses are available that auto focus on it? I could spend that much for it..

Yes. All of the Canon EF-S and EF lenses will AF with the XTi. There's always the cameras from other companies like Pentax and Sony, which both have decent cameras in their lineup. I personally just went with Canon because it's one of the two big names and it seemed to have the most options for expansion and developments. That's ultimately what I would look at when buying my first dSLR. If you plan on expanding and getting serious, which line offers the most options and best fit for you? I almost bought the Nikon D80 instead of the Canon XTi, but I was more drawn to Canon's lenses, especially their primes.

Most reactions

Back