I Have it Rounded Down to Two - Any Last Words?

GlendaleViper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks,

I've been researching cameras for a couple of years(!) now and it's finally time to actually buy. The budget is tight (very tight) but my options have officially been chopped down to two: The Canon 30D and Nikon D80. Here are my personal pros and cons:

Nikon D80
Pros
-Excellent kit lens
-Newer body (and internals) compared to the Canon
-Body seems slightly more sturdy

Cons
-Never shot with Nikon
-Price seems steep
-Takes SD cards

Canon 30D
Pros
-Have shot with Canon for 12+ years
-Excellent ergonomics/access to functions
-Perceived as a better value for the money
-Compact Flash

Cons
-Craptastic kit lens

Anyway, I know it looks as though the Canon wins, but the lens on the Nikon is a fantastic starter whereas with the Canon I'd be looking to upgrade ASAP. Both are extremely close as far as I'm concerned, but as someone who has shot with Canon for so long, it's tough to defect - even without a vested interest in the company (lens collection).

So, I'm interested in the thoughts of any 30D and D80 users! Hell, if you can talk me down to the D50 (discontinued, I know, but the D40 and D40X are not an option due to size and lack of a top LCD) or the 400D, you'll make my wallet very happy!

To the Nikon camp - why should I defect?
To the Canon camp - why should I stay?

Any help is very much appreciated. This is a lot of money for me and my decision will last, since lens collecting will be imminent.

So do you have any Canon EF lenses? If so, the answer is very easy.

Heheheh. Alright, I take it you're a Canon man, then. Sell me dude. Sell me!

[EDIT] No lenses whatsoever. Used to have a few old manual Canon lenses for my AT-1.

I don't like getting into brand wars...but being a Canon shooter...

The Canon has a Canon made CMOS sensor while the Nikon has a Sony made RGB sensor.
30D has a top shutter speed of 1/8000 vs 1/4000 on the Nikon.
30D uses CF cards, D80 uses SD cards...not sure which is better.
This is a big one, the 30D can shoot at 5 frames per second, up to 30 Jpegs...the D80 is only 3 FPS, up to 23 Jpegs.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...yside&cameras=canon_eos30d,nikon_d80&show=all

Thanks for the help Mike, but I should clarify here - I've been researching these cameras to death (dpreview has been a geek/photographer's dream resource for more than 4 years now). I would happily live with either camera.

Where I want that last bit of help is:

- Which and why?
- Are they worth it over the D50 or 400D?

As far as the brand wars are concerned, it's a bit of an incidental here, since I'm looking for that last nail in the coffin before deciding on a brand for the long haul.

Either way, thanks again!

Which one feels better in your hands?

When it comes down to it...they are both just tools. Is there any point it debating a comparison between a Stanley hammer and a Black & Decker hammer? They both just pound nails.

Agonizing over which one to get, which brand to go with...isn't going to get you any further ahead. Just go out and buy one and start using it :D

Which one feels better in your hands?

Bar none, the Canon. I do recognize that between the two, the differences will be negligible, but I was curious as to what I can expect in the long haul, since I'll be stuck with one of the two brands almost indefinitely. Different bodies, but stuck with the brand.

Go into a camera store and decide which one feels better, becuase would have to disagree with the ergonomics advantage to the Canon.

Go into a camera store and decide which one feels better, becuase would have to disagree with the ergonomics advantage to the Canon.

Limited store use would say otherwise. I prefer the larger buttons on the Nikon, but the layout for the shutter and aperture were much more natural...

ok than, just get what feels more comfortable.

Okay... and then for the rest of my photographic life...

I know this may seem like trifling over two very similar cameras, but please don't forget about the lens thing. Is there any clear difference between the two brands? I haven't used a camera with a dedicated lens since my old AT-1; the current line of AF/ES lenses are alien to me.

I'll admit that I'm leaning towards the Canon, but I feel like making a long term decision based solely on the body I can afford is a hasty if not outwardly bad idea.

My general perception between the two brands' glass components doesn't get much more concise than this (tell me if this is way off):

Canon = Softer, more "warmth"

Nikon = Sharper, but "cold"

Too much dough my friend. To be honest, I'd rather go one level DOWN than one level up right now. The D200 is a disturbingly excellent camera for the price, however. Especially when one considers that the D80 finds itself somewhere between the 400D and 30D (and thus, the perception/reality(?) is that it's priced high).

Sorry to throw another variable in the formula, but what type of photography do you prefer currently? Plan on for the future?

OK folks i am about to enter the danger zone here and as such, have my flame jacket on!!!! The type of photography that you prefer or aspire to matters because one brand is better suited to certain things than the other. Canon is faster - faster, more accurate AF, faster frames per second and as such sports and action type shooting are where Canon shines over Nikon. However, if weddings or portraits are your main interests, Nikon has more accurate flash/metering than Canon and personally, i prefer Nikon color rendition to Canon color rendition.

OK, let the flames fly!! I must add that whatever camera you choose, master it and you can adjust what you need to in post processing.

Honestly, go with whatever camera feels most intuitive to YOU and disregard the opinions of others - me included - you will be well-served by either brand. You are the one who will be handling it - not me or anyone else. I have a konicaMinolta 7D(discontinued now...) - and i believe it to be the most ergonomically well-designed digital photographic tool ever produced. It lacks in a few areas, but where it's strong, it's really strong and i love doing photography with it - regardless of the heavy lenses i tend to use. It never feels too heavy for me regardless of how long the shoot goes and the controls are completely intuitive for me. I anxiously await it's Sony sucessor!!!

Enjoy your selection - either way! Photography is supposed to be about capturing memories not gadgets (though i am a self-admitted gearhead too!).

Enjoy your selection - either way! Photography is supposed to be about capturing memories not gadgets (though i am a self-admitted gearhead too!).

Much as I'm a gearhead myself, this is an excellent point. Thank you for touching on the basic differences as well. Furthermore, I believe you have solidified my choice to stick with Canon, since a slight edge in speed is more beneficial to me than colour and metering out of the box. I have no problems working a photo in post-ed.

Now, with that aside, anyone recommend picking up a 350D body and a better lens over just jumping on the 30D kit?

Most reactions

Back