I have no photography experience, but want to buy a camera for my wife. Need Help!

Jon, The Elder and Mike_E said it best. While it might ruin the surprise I'm sure she will be no less happy with the gift and it is o-so-important.

Good luck!

When I was looking at cameras to get back into it, I had my mind set on Canon, I took a trip to the local store and tried both canon and Nikon. The Nikon fealt better (for me) so I left with that.

For the birthday, I would suggest a couple of approaches, and I will apologise for going a little off topic, but I would make a day of it and take her to the local store as has been suggested before to get the camera that suits her (pretty woman for cameras if you will)- if you want something for her to open on the morning wrap up a disposable one, and let her into the secret before she throws it at you.

Good luck and happy snapping!

Or better still, buy her a nice camera bag to put everything in, then tell her you're both off out shopping to fill it. You could even put the disposable in that if you wanted.

When I was looking at cameras to get back into it, I had my mind set on Canon, I took a trip to the local store and tried both canon and Nikon. The Nikon fealt better (for me) so I left with that.

For the birthday, I would suggest a couple of approaches, and I will apologise for going a little off topic, but I would make a day of it and take her to the local store as has been suggested before to get the camera that suits her (pretty woman for cameras if you will)- if you want something for her to open on the morning wrap up a disposable one, and let her into the secret before she throws it at you.

Good luck and happy snapping!
Forget these people have some cojones and buy her a camera. While I might, for their deals, normally recommend B+H this time buy local. If/when you buy the wrong thing you don't have to worry about shipping it back. Do you have a Ritz nearby? they are going to give you the best local price and assistance and if it is the wrong camera she can go in and hold and look at all the camers she wants to. Also since you say she is just starting and wanting to expand with photography if you have a good crew at your local Ritz or wherever you go you can start a relationship with them with them helping you with printing, lenses and, acessories. Now my one last thought and I will duck because the flames are going to start as soon as I click "Submit Reply" if your wife is truly someday considering "professional status" get her into Nikon or Canon system because remember if you buy the right camera now she can grow with a system. O.K. I better duck here come the flames.

LOL No flames, just a different approach to a relationship.

Any DSLR would be good enough to take pictures and if that is what he wants her to do, it's his deal.

If he wants to support her desire to follow her Muse then she needs to be the one to choose her tools. (by example, ask 3 or 4 sculptors if they've ever had a wrong handed chisel. They are just metal right? Yes but if the balance is wrong then you are fighting with that small annoyance and it interferes with your creativity).

It's a matter of style I guess.

mike

LOL No flames, just a different approach to a relationship.

Any DSLR would be good enough to take pictures and if that is what he wants her to do, it's his deal.

If he wants to support her desire to follow her Muse then she needs to be the one to choose her tools. (by example, ask 3 or 4 sculptors if they've ever had a wrong handed chisel. They are just metal right? Yes but if the balance is wrong then you are fighting with that small annoyance and it interferes with your creativity).

It's a matter of style I guess.

mike
Well that's why I suggested buying locally instead of online so if she really does not like his selection it is easy the same day as the gift is given if she wants to go and return it and have a large seletion of cameras at her fingertips to hold and pick from.

Most reactions

Back