I have noticed something. Have you?

He said ANYONE, not EVERYONE.
From Dictionary.com
an·y·one
Any person at all; anybody: Did anyone see the accident?

—Usage note
Anyone as a pronoun meaning “anybody” or “any person at all” is written as one word: Does anyone have the correct time? The two-word phrase any one means “any single member of a group of persons or things” and is often followed by of: Can any one of the members type? Any one of these books is exciting reading. Anyone is somewhat more formal than anybody

You are failing to comprehend the context of the word usage.

He meant "anybody", which means "any person".

Nice try though.

I am an English Major by the way...

Thats neat your an english major. Congrats. Your mom must be very proud of you.
Where I come from anyone does not mean everyone. Also your quote, Did anyone see the accident? Does not mean did everyone see the accident...

Where I come from anyone does not mean everyone. Also your quote, Did anyone see the accident? Does not mean did everyone see the accident...

Thats what context is lol...

Words can be used for different things depending on the context.

Edit: In my opinion he used the wrong word, and thats why its a little confusing. I do know what he was trying to say though.

Thats what context is lol...

Words can be used for different things depending on the context.

Agree to disagree then? I think we went a bit off topic but I'm pretty sure he didn't mean everyone.

"with an SLR now thinks they can shoot professionally within a few months of owning a camera"

^^ This part is the key.

What is before this is simply setting up the point he is making here.

You can add "anyone" "everyone" "anybody” and it mostly means the same thing.

Something that is the opposite would change the meaning, like "nobody".

He’s just saying that people get their first DSLR, and then they think they can be a pro right away.

Totally agree with you!!! I've only been at this a few months, but whatever I do for people will be free for a while... because I'm not anywhere near the level I'd like to be in order to charge. Some things may not be as bad as once in a lifetime events, like weddings. Weddings is one thing that really burns be up! I was looking at a friends professional wedding pictures online the other day, and I couldn't believe the amount she paid for those horrible pictures!

I have to agree entirely with the OP. I've had my DSLR for a bit and have been shooting in manual for a little over a year. So many times people have inquired if I do any professional work and I have to explain to them that me having an entry-level professional camera in no way means I produce images anyone should pay for.

I'm not as frustrated by peer amateurs that present themselves as professional as much as people who expect that having the camera magically means the photographs comes out at a professional level.

..though, I suppose its these people who go to Best Buy, pick up a Rebel and jump on here to post about Watermarks, Pricing, and Website hosting >_<

:lmao:

I want to go to a doctor who learned medicine all on his own, with no classes, no books, no mentors--just from the web.

I want to board a jet aircraft that is maintained by self-taught mechanics who learned all about aircraft mechanics from the web. No stuffy schools or mentors or certificates of accomplishment, just web-educated.

I want to hire a dentist who never went to dental school, never had a professor, never had an associate, but is a sole practitioner who learned entirely from YouTube videos.

I want the United State military (Army,Navy,Air Force,Marines, Coast Guard) to fire all the officers who attended the military academies,and who have studied warfare and battle tactics and strategies, and to replace them all with self-taught "leaders" who have learned from YouTube and back issues of Soldier of Fortune magazine.

I think we should all look toward hiring 20-something year-old carpenters with six months to two years' experience to build our dream house. Forget those old dudes who learned the business first-hand from actual master carpenters...a year's worth of YouTube videos is a far,far better education than learning from multiple masters and apprenticing to learn how the business is supposed to be done.

Yeah, "how" and "from whom" one learns has absolutely, positively NO BEARING on how qualified and well-taught a person is. Right.

Derrel...

I think if you read your post again verry carefully you will see that these things are nothing like being a pro photographer.

These are jobs where peoples lives depend on them doing things correctly.

Edit:

Also most of these jobs are not something that people do for a hobby...

I think most of you are entirely,entirely missing the point; the totally self-taught, uneducated, unstudied, no-mentor, no training, no associate, single practitioner is bound to be less well-educated that a person who has followed the centuries-old traditions of learning from people with MORE experience. it does not matter if anything is life or death; what about the carpenter example??? What about the dentistry example--dentistry is largely cosmetic, seldom life and death...

I think it's pretty amusing to see the dumb questions being asked by people who are charging for photos. And even though photography might be considered a discipline where somebody can pick up a camera and turn out good work, the vast majority of such people are churning out absolute crap...horizontal framing of vertical subjects, dead-centered bullseye "compositions", laughable lighting,etc,etc. it's amusing to hear how so many people think that learning how to run the light meter and spin a dial is "photography". Of course, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, and today's Facebook and MySpace "professionals" with six months to one year of entirely self-taught "skill" are pretty much nothing more than bottom feeders trying to make ends meet.

As the OP pointed out, there are a LOT of people who think that buying a d-slr is all it takes. They learn how to get the exposures right, but have zero skill at "photography". The point I was trying to make, which seems to be entirely missed is that there is a centuries-old tradition of learning; those with MORE skill TEACH those with less or no skills and no knowledge. THat is the way things have been done for centuries, and it's been proven to be the best method for passing on knowledge. THose who cannot understand that the knowledge of the group ALWAYS, always,always is greater than that of the individual really are not doing much thinking...and of course, they're making comments about the fallaciousness of my post!!

Maybe there's a reason so many of these untrained, self-taught, single-practitioners are making the big bucks doing the $25 family sessions via Facebook...

Hey.... I do those $25 Facebook sessions:(

But I do agree with Derrel, these trends are getting real old real fast. I know a lady who is the exact definition of unskilled mom who bought a camera and now thinks she can do senior portraits. And people pay her $180 a session!

I do watermarking when I post a picture I want to share just to protect it from posers and those who will use it. But when someone appreciate and ask me to take a shot on their events I never ask for money, will never ask that thing untill I know my real capablities. (but I love myself coz I learn from people and like in this forum)

Newbies who are posting questions and asking for opinion here are just starving for knowledge of photography improvement and I dont see problem with it. When you ask it means you are very eager to learn more.......

I am a newbie and I don't call myself a pro- I dont ask even single cent... a smile on my subject is the best payment I can recieved.

I think most of you are entirely,entirely missing the point; the totally self-taught, uneducated, unstudied, no-mentor, no training, no associate, single practitioner is bound to be less well-educated that a person who has followed the centuries-old traditions of learning from people with MORE experience. it does not matter if anything is life or death; what about the carpenter example??? What about the dentistry example--dentistry is largely cosmetic, seldom life and death...

I think it's pretty amusing to see the dumb questions being asked by people who are charging for photos. And even though photography might be considered a discipline where somebody can pick up a camera and turn out good work, the vast majority of such people are churning out absolute crap...horizontal framing of vertical subjects, dead-centered bullseye "compositions", laughable lighting,etc,etc. it's amusing to hear how so many people think that learning how to run the light meter and spin a dial is "photography". Of course, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, and today's Facebook and MySpace "professionals" with six months to one year of entirely self-taught "skill" are pretty much nothing more than bottom feeders trying to make ends meet.

As the OP pointed out, there are a LOT of people who think that buying a d-slr is all it takes. They learn how to get the exposures right, but have zero skill at "photography". The point I was trying to make, which seems to be entirely missed is that there is a centuries-old tradition of learning; those with MORE skill TEACH those with less or no skills and no knowledge. THat is the way things have been done for centuries, and it's been proven to be the best method for passing on knowledge. THose who cannot understand that the knowledge of the group ALWAYS, always,always is greater than that of the individual really are not doing much thinking...and of course, they're making comments about the fallaciousness of my post!!

Maybe there's a reason so many of these untrained, self-taught, single-practitioners are making the big bucks doing the $25 family sessions via Facebook...

4 out of 5 at least man...

People could easily die from poor construction by a carpenter. I am sure you will agree with that.

Your post was fallacious...

You failed to back up how the comparison was valid.

I do understand the point you are trying to make though.

I agree that it is not beneficial to the profession of photography to have all these self taught people with very little knowledge and experience.

What can you do about it though?

There was a reason I pointed out the differences in your comparisons of the other professions to photography. It's because those are all (or mostly all) professions that require licenses, certifications, or tests to do, because people could get hurt or die if they mess up.

What&#8217;s the worst thing that can happen if a photographer messes up? At the worst they would probably just hurt themselves, and even that&#8217;s not very likely.

Saying something like "photography while skydiving" or anything like that is dangerous doesn't count, because that&#8217;s like saying "chewing bubble gum while skydiving is dangerous". It would be the skydiving that is dangerous.

How can you require a license for something that is creative by nature, and subjective as to what is really good and bad?

There are certifications for photographers. All professional fields develop certification standards and procedures in order to establish and maintain said standards.

When I, out of curiosity, went up to a typical Mall Photography Studio and asked them if they are hiring and what qualifications are involved they mentioned a degree, certification, and/or an extensive portfolio.

Until a time nano-technology allows for direct transfer of memories from one individual to another, there is little substitution to learning from more knowledgable, experienced members of society.

OK sure I admit I am one of those people. I've had the camera for 6 months now and yes, I do charge people. But I know one thing that can separate me from the rest of the group (people who just bought cameras who think they can become professional):
1. I am a fast learner when it comes to ANY computer programs. I am THAT guy at work (engineering firm) where everyone asks question to when they have software question.
2. I have messed around with photoshop for many years. Some of you have seen what I can do with Photoshop.

So my point is, digital photography involves heavily on post processing as well. So I think just because I've only shot for 6 months you could just say I shouldn't charge people. I know more PP than most beginners and some seasoned professionals.(I am putting my fire suit on.. let the flaming begin!)

There are certifications for photographers. All professional fields develop certification standards and procedures in order to establish and maintain said standards.

When I, out of curiosity, went up to a typical Mall Photography Studio and asked them if they are hiring and what qualifications are involved they mentioned a degree, certification, and/or an extensive portfolio.

Until a time nano-technology allows for direct transfer of memories from one individual to another, there is little substitution to learning from more knowledgable, experienced members of society.

Ya, but it’s not REQUIRED!

To be a medical doctor you are REQUIRED BY LAW to be licensed.

I highly doubt that there is any law, in any state, requiring a general purpose professional photographer to be licensed or certified in order to take pictures in exchange for money.

If I am wrong, by all means please tell me so, but remember to back it up with facts and details or it means nothing.

I say general purpose, because people like you will come back with some off the wall thing like...

"Well NASA requires this special license, and that you are a certified astronaut to take pictures in space".

Well, I can go down to mexico and practice medicine tomorrow.

Law isn't a good thing to reference as this is a global community.

"People like you" :lmao:

Certifications for occupations such as practicing medicine arrose out of necessity. Individuals who practiced medicine in the past made mistakes and caused more harm than good, so it was a necessity to produce licenses and certifications and then require them by law.

In medieval europe, if you wanted to enter a profession you apprenticed and eventually were of high enough quality to enter into a social standard by the guild into which you were allowed. I'm not equating taking a photograph to open-heart surgery, I'm simply trying to show the flaws in the logic that was being proliferated here.

So perhaps the law needs to catch up here, where the only regulation to date is business models, demand.. and you get what you pay for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back