I have too many hard drives. Help needed!

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by alexandermjoyce, Dec 3, 2017.

1. alexandermjoyce

alexandermjoyce TPF Noob!

Hello all!

First off, I hope I posted this in the right place.

But anyway, I've been doing this photography thing for a while now. I have thousands upon thousands of raw files, edited files, etc. But they're all stored across many hard drives. My question is where should I store them that is safe?

Everyone is moving toward cloud storage, but what is the best cloud storage and is it actually safe? I'm worried about hard drives crashing and losing years of photos, but is cloud storage actually safe to store images. Or should I store images in both the cloud and on hard drive.

Advice on this and which cloud storage to use would be super helpful. I've done research, but there are so many different "clouds" now.

Thanks a lot!

Here is a picture of my friends Malamute for your viewing please (or is it a wolf?).

Ruby-Web.jpg

2. bogeyguy

bogeyguy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Maybe, just maybe, you have to many photo's saved, maybe??

3. 407370

407370 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    To many photos saved?????

Aint no such thing!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. alexandermjoyce

Bogey you know there ain't no such thing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. 407370

407370 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Hard drive / flash drive / DVD / ONLINE

The choice is dependant on your personal preference.

I use One Drive as I got 1Tb free with Office 365.

6. alexandermjoyce

OneDrive isn't a bad idea.

7. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You have to ask yourself; "safe from what"? Or "how safe"? What if there is a forest fire, a flood, or a general food riot? Does 50 miles distant at some trusted friend's house sound safe? Well, does it?

Have a three-drive rotation. Take one drive far, far away. If you can, at least 50 miles away to a friend/relative's house. When you back up, take one drive "B" there and exchange it for "A". Bring "A" back home and continue your backup. You can use the cloud of you want to, but always have at least one HD not on your premises. Next backup, take "C" and exchange it for "B" and bring "B" home and continue your backup. By doing this, you should have three copies of your files except for when driving to get the third HD. You'll only have two copies at that time.

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Regardless how/where your images are stored there will always be some risk of loss.
    You can do things to minimize the risk, but you cannot eliminate the risk of loss.

The last thing I want to do is to rely on some entity out there on the Internet I have no control of to ensure the my images remain archived.

What good is cloud storage if you can't access the Internet location your images are stored?
    Who knows if there will be an Internet 50 years from now?
    If it does still exist will we be able to access the Internet as easily as we do today?
    What if the cloud storage location you use gets hacked?

For that matter who knows if some new technology does to digital photographs what digital imaging has done to film?

9. bratkinson

bratkinson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I'm sure there are those that disagree with me, but I have to ask - why save the RAW images once you're done with the shoot/event/image collection/whatever? What are the odds you'll EVER go back and re-edit them? The same is true with 'intermediate results' folders that I make while doing post processing. I use the intermediate folders for occasional 'oops, I didn't mean to delete that one!' situations.

As a hobbiest photographer, once I'm through with all the editing and have made enough backup copies in enough places of the 'finished product', I delete everything else. In 15 years or so of digital photography, only once have I gone back and re-edited RAW images that I intentionally saved as I didn't know squat about white balance and most of post processing capabilities when I shot that event. I knew it then, so I saved the RAWs. I re-edited them only for self-satisfaction to prove to myself that I had learned a LOT about post processing in the year or so following that shoot.

For what it's worth, I have my 'bulk storage' hard drive in one of two 'slide in/slide out' bays. Monthly, I put an identical drive in the other bay and clone the active drive to the 'new' drive, then remove the active drive and replace it with the 'new' one. Sliding drives in and out takes about 10 seconds each after turning off the computer. I also have an external USB drive, that I keep several miles away. I clone the active drive to that one as well.

These days, hard drive space is getting cheaper by the day. A bit more than 25 years ago, I paid over $300 (maybe more!) for a 20 MEGABYTE drive, not GIGABYTE, and definitely not TERABYTE. One of my friends who has massive storage requirements happened to find 8 TERABYTE external drives online (Amazon?) for a bit over $200 a week ago! Having multiple copies of everything is a requirement as hard drives go bad whenever they feel like it, especially if you don't have a backup!