i hit the photog jackpot

hurd300403

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.press.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so, i'm a college grad looking for a first job (almost exclusively on craigslist!). i majored in computer science and thus find myself looking in that field. i have a vested interest in music engineering and have over 50k in gear...all pro standard stuff. plan is to work IT and then engineer on the side. i get a few offers and interviews and end up landing a job at a very well respected news hub working as a sys admin.

quickly, i find i have a lot of free time and i'm the head of IT. lucky me! i start taking some photos with my d50 that i've been shooting with. always considered myself very interested in photography, but nothing something i would be able to make money with as the field is incredibly competitive.

that was almost two years ago.

now, i've got an incredible photography rig all to myself. i'm hired to take pictures daily at all kinds of events booked for huge PR firms. i work as the only full time staff photographer (one who is paid and not a member volunteer) of the news organization, and am building a photography business for them from the ground up. i get INCREDIBLE opportunities to meet all kinds of well connected people, work along side other pro freelancers, and take pictures of celebs and world leaders...many times with exclusive access.

anyway, i definitely hit a huge break that fast tracked my status to pro photographer, and that's rare, but i felt like posting a spot about it on here. hopefully, it will give a bit of inspiration/drive to those who are where i was just two years ago. you NEVER know where you might end up. keep with it, be honest, hone your skills, and you are bound to catch a few lucky breaks.

(name of organization left out on purpose, but many of my stream photos make it easy to tell :))

Last edited:
Congrats, but for me I have no hope of becoming a pro photographer, low chances and around 25,000 a year on average. F-That. :lol:

Im only 15 and ive lost hope! :lmao:

haha! well that's exactly why i wanted to post this. i had no idea at 15 that i'd be sitting where i am now...i had no clue even at 22!!

so stick with it. thankfully i'm doing well, but i'd do my job if they paid me half of what they pay me now. it definitely isn't/shouldn't be about the money.

you never know where you'll end up, and you've got a nice little start with the gear you already have.

haha! well that's exactly why i wanted to post this. i had no idea at 15 that i'd be sitting where i am now...i had no clue even at 22!!

so stick with it. thankfully i'm doing well, but i'd do my job if they paid me half of what they pay me now. it definitely isn't/shouldn't be about the money.

you never know where you'll end up, and you've got a nice little start with the gear you already have.

Thanks! I know, I have no clue what I want to be when I enter the workforce.

Its true, it shouldnt be about the money but I gotta remember it so I dont go broke. better marry someone that gets a good salary! :lmao:

50k in gear before ever having a job... good work, if you can get it!

50k in gear before ever having a job... good work, if you can get it!

well, note that it was actually not photography gear that i started off with. i wanted to be an audio engineer and have collected that gear for almost 10 years. now, i still do that part time on some weekends and evenings, but it's definitely taking a back seat for the time being to photography!

and craig....i'm glad to have saved your night :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back