I hope I saved an owl today..

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So there I was, I had found the Baby Owl. I was getting some really nice shots and he looked sleepy. I went to another spot and let him be. When I started going through my pictures I was horrified that I hadn't noticed the fresh blood dripping off his talon.. Finding a sick or injured bird has been a huge nightmare of mind ever since I found the Dead snowy owl last month...
Injured Baby Great Horned Owl by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

I called my friends at A Place Called Hope and Todd and Ned showed up. We went back out to the spot and after 30 minutes or so I spotted the owl again..
He was alert, but had hidden behind a tree..
Baby Great Horned Owl Rescue by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Todd is a licensed Wildlife rehabber and this was when he grabbed the owl..
Baby Great Horned Owl Rescue by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

He quickly realized the owl was actually in really bad shape..

The Owl has been stabilized but it sustained injuries to both wings and has lost quite a bit of blood. It has also "blood feathers" which is when the quills fill up with blood and if one breaks off the owl will bleed out. The owl was a little too young to fly and apparently got blown out of his nest in the wind storm we had. It seems that something may have grabbed him afterwards. I'm still very upset, but hopefully they can save him. I really encourage everyone to find their local wildlife rehabilitation centers and have the number in your phones.. I don't think this owl would have survived the night..

I got a few shots while Todd was examining him...

EXCELLENT !!. Very nice work and hopefully this one will be fine. A huge thanks from here. Just as well you spotted it and be good to see this one out and about again. The eyes could melt your heart, they are just beautiful to see. Amazing eyes.

All the best Kris and wonderful to see, pat yourself on the back, I can't reach.

Danny.

What an amazing thing to do Kris. I wish we had more people like you.

I always keep our local wild life rescue's numbers handy, but the thing is they never take anyone seriously here unless they are known to them personally. On multiple occasions I had street dogs struck by cars, and they refused to come and help them. Eventually I had to take them in and take care of them for the duration they healed.To think they would come to save a bird is preposterous.

Even as a child I couldn't understand, that even those who cared about animals didn't care about birds, but why? I would often find a baby crow who've fallen out of their nest and I'd take them with me, but they've been the toughest to save, specially with the limited knowledge I had then as a child, saved a few sparrows as well.

Keep up the good work Kris, would cheers to you :cheers:.

Great work and you made the right call! Many might not have even spotted the blood or would have put it down to a kill (or in the case of a young owl having being brought a kill*). I hope the little bird survives, though if the blood feathers were damaged it sounds like he'll be in rehab for a while till he gets a new set coming through before he can fly.

* I know birds do that whole regurgitation but don't they get some real food as they get older? I think they do.

Great job! True kindness comes out of helping those you know who can never repay you. ;) I hope the owl makes it.

Saw this on Facebook So glad you saved him..

All hope for a positive outcome for the young owl. But regardless of the outcome, Todd and you have earned big-time Gold Stars in the humanity department. Lee

Wow. So amazing that you did that. I just don't know what to say, but I'm floored/happy/hopeful.

Awesome story! Good for you for going back and helping the little guy out. I hope we get an update on how he's doing. :)

Clear example of what photography should be, caring about the subject (and its dignity) first and taking pictures later. It's horrible when someone becomes so obsessed with their hobby or job to lose all notion compassion to become some"thing" like this imgur: the simple image sharer.

Good for you man.

Good job Kris, I'm going to look up a few numbers to keep on my phone now :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back