I inherited - -

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I inherited my dad's old Minolta kit containing 4 Minolta MC mount lenses. I have been playing around with them shooting macros using extension tubes on my Panasonic DMC G1. The 35mm/f2.8 is fairly sharp but requires me to be too close for insects, the 55mm/f1.7 is not as sharp but provides better working distance. However, the 100mm/f3.5 allows me to be back about 10" & still get decent magnification & IQ. Here I will provide an example from each lens; the camera is mounted on focusing rails on a tripod & the ISO set @ 400.

1. Green Pepper seeds on black felt, shot @ f16 with 35mm

15-06.jpg

2. Toothpicks, shot @ f16 with 55mm

07-01-3.jpg

3. Black Peppercorn in gator clip, shot @ f3.5 with 100mm

P1010106sm.jpg

New life for some old glass. :D

I love the toothpick pic as well. All three are TACK frikkin' SHARP!

Wow! Nice shots, well composed, SHARP focus!

How far away were you? Those can't be shots from 10' away unless you used an electron microscope.

2. Toothpicks, shot @ f16 with 55mm

07-01-3.jpg

:D
Yikes! I had an MD 50 1.7 like that. The first MD 50 made, I think. Tack sharp in the middle, and terrible on the edges. In the middle, though, I have yet to see a lens as sharp used wide open. I couldn't shoot rainbows with it, either. Used wide open with a 2X converter, it made an excellent portrait lens.

I like that 100mm, and I'm pretty sure I have the 35 somewhere.

Nice work as usual.

Early, the sharpness drops off at the edges partially because the toothpicks are farther away from the lens as you can see from this longer shot.

07-03-2.jpg

Thanks folks for your comments.

Most reactions

Back