I just bought some film...experiences, please

clarinetJWD

The Naked Spammer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
jwdphotography.com
I bought 2 of my old standards, Fuji NEOPAN 100 SS and 400, but I decided to go out on a lomb and try some new stuff too.

Kodak Professional BW400CN, C-41 Process and Kodak T-Max 400.

Being pretty popular films, I'm sure someone here has ahd experience with one or both of them... What are they like in terms of grain, contrast, etc. Thanks!

I've used both of those films wqith good results. However, with the 400cn, watch for odd color casts. I've had negatives that have come out with a slight but pronounced magenta and some with a yellow cast.

TMAX is great, that's what I shoot with when I do B&W. I shoot TMAX 100 4x5, so you don't see any grain at all really unless you push it into oblivion.

the C-41 B&W is WAY too contrasty even for me. I personally think it's junk.

I've not personally tried any of the C-41 B&W films, since I develop so cheaply at home and I've heard about the odd color casts, too. Tends to put me off.

TMax 400 seems to always be available in my fridge. It's a great go-to film - load it, shoot it, easy to develop, great prints, pushable....what's not to like? :)

Remember to try a couple different filters, Joe....at the very least a yellow, and if you are in a park or the country, that #25 red you have for the HIE will also kick up your skies with the TMax.

Thanks for the advice guys...I don't have anywhere or any know how on the developing, and I thought I'd give the C-41 film a go because it's really hard to find a good lab that doesn't charge you an arm and a leg.

I plan to use that red filter a lot...give ol' Ansel a run for his money :lol:

I have used both Kodak and Ilford c-41 films and had success with both. I don't think that I would drop them off at a Wal-mart though.

Most reactions

Back