I just discovered RAW mode!!!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by nikki2291, Jan 20, 2009.

1. nikki2291

nikki2291 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just found out that the disk that came with my camera has a RAW editor and converter with it. So I was playing around and I love it! You can change pretty much everything. I am still a little sketchy about shooting RAW though because I dont know a whole lot about it. I did google it though, but it all seems so confusing. Think anyone can kinda explain RAW to me in simpler terms?...lol.

~Nikki~

2. MikeBcos

MikeBcos TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Raw is like a negative. You can take it straight out of the camera and print it and you'll get a pretty decent photograph.

Or you can act like you are in a darkroom and tweak and adjust the image to get exactly what you want, darken areas, lighten areas, crop, sharpen, etc.

3. christm

christm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    RAW is great if used properly, I think it can mean that many people don't adjust the settings on the camera as much but do more digital processing.

Just a shame my 50D's RAW formatt isn't yet supported on the mac :mad:

4. SlimPaul

SlimPaul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    haha, have fun with RAW! ;)

5. alarionov

alarionov TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    can you set it to RAW + JPEG? that way you have it in both versions but it takes more space on the memory card though.

6. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You can not print a RAW file. You can print a JPEG converted RAW file, but printing a RAW file is not possible.

7. Ken Rockwell

Ken Rockwell TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not much of a Twiddler so JPEG's about all I need.

RAW's a great editing format. Enjoy it!

8. pauliec

pauliec TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Should any novice (like me) use RAW? One the one hand it sounds kind of intimidating, but on the other hand I wouldn't have to fiddle around the camera settings so much.

9. christm

christm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    An added note: I shoot both at the same time. This should be on your cameras menu somewhere.

10. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It can't hurt. It will mean more time sitting in front of the computer though. Every single photo will need work (converting to JPG or TIFF at least). You should still try to get as much as possible right "in camera", it will make processing the files much easier and less time consuming.

I think it opens up some options that are not as easy to do with a JPG. Note that I said not as easy - I think you could still do the same thing to a JPG, it just might take a little more work.

Use JPG + RAW a little, see if you like RAWs. I think you will wind up shooting in RAW sooner or later, might as well learn it now.

11. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In the most basic terms...RAW is everything that the image sensor captures and puts into a file that the RAW editor can work with.

The JPEG that comes out of your camera started as a RAW image but was edited by the in-camera processor...it decided what to keep and what to throw away, how much sharpening to apply, the amount of contrast and color saturation to use, etc... when it compressed/converted it to JPEG.

With the RAW file you get to use everything the image sensor captured and you decide how you want to edit it, not some image processor.

As an experiment, take a few shots in RAW + JPEG Large and then edit the RAW file and convert it to JPEG. Compare that JPEG with the one that came out of the camera and you'll see it's much smaller than the one you converted from the RAW file. Compare the images closely (pixel peeping) and you'll see that the JPEG you converted from RAW has much better image quality than the JPEG that came out of the camera.

12. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    +1