I just got it! (more tricks for ebay)

panocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Remember that only a few days ago I was asking about a new lens for my Nikon AF? Well, so I just got it (well, actually, it still has to be shipped!)

My final decision, confirmed by all your op¡nions, was to go for a 50mm 1.8. My budget, if you remember, was only $50 -later I was willing to pay something more, since for that money it would be hard to find that lens in good conditions.

Then I started ebaying. And fast it was: I've just won an auction with my soon-beloved 50mm (my current 35-70 is a real dissapointment, as I told you) for the really good price of... $43!! :greenpbl: So I still have part of the budget for a couple of beers to celebrate :mrgreen:

D'you wanna know the secret? Because if you search ebay, you'll find that the prices for this lens are never below $50, and normally above $70. Do you think that it's because it's full of scratches, the AF doesn't work, it has an ant in the lenses...? keep thinking, because it doesn't.

The secret is the following: try and search cameras, not only lenses. People who buy lenses normally go for the lenses, but sometimes cameras come with precisely the lenses you want. And guess what... sometimes those cameras are sold for parts or repair. Obviously, a good deal of the potential buyers of that lens won't pay attention to that auction. Less buyers-less "rivals"-lower price ;)

In short, now I have a camera that needs repair plus the lens I wanted in excellent shape for less than the normal price of the lens. Isn't this great!

Well, I just wanted to share the trick. As soon as it arrives, I'll let you know how happy I am with a 50mm finally on my AF (I've always been very happy with 50mm after all). Unfortunately, I cannot post any photo, since I don't have scanner and don't get cd's from the lab either. Maybe soon I'll get a scanner. What next trick should I use... :scratch:

Thats a good idea, thanks for the tip.

I normally dont do the ebay thing but I am going to be looking for a large prime lens soon I think and will probably be scouring ebay for a good deal. I dont know if your technique will work for that kind of lens but I will try. :)

panocho said:
Then I started ebaying. And fast it was: I've just won an auction with my soon-beloved 50mm (my current 35-70 is a real dissapointment, as I told you) for the really good price of... $43!! :greenpbl: So I still have part of the budget for a couple of beers to celebrate :mrgreen:

D'you wanna know the secret? Because if you search ebay, you'll find that the prices for this lens are never below $50, and normally above $70. Do you think that it's because it's full of scratches, the AF doesn't work, it has an ant in the lenses...? keep thinking, because it doesn't.

The secret is the following: try and search cameras, not only lenses. People who buy lenses normally go for the lenses, but sometimes cameras come with precisely the lenses you want. And guess what... sometimes those cameras are sold for parts or repair. Obviously, a good deal of the potential buyers of that lens won't pay attention to that auction. Less buyers-less "rivals"-lower price ;)

:

That is no "trick". I never search a category, I always search "all of ebay". That is just basic search techniques.

Hellashot said:
That is no "trick". I never search a category, I always search "all of ebay". That is just basic search techniques.

:sad anim:

ok, so no trick. And maybe you search all ebay, but definitely a lot of people do not! Trick or not trick it works anyway!

Most reactions

Back