I Just Luv It!!! *RANT

That One Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When a person posts a photo for critique and someone replies "those are just snapshots" and their critique ends there. How helpful is that? Since when is it a requirement that only "art gallery quality" photos be posted?

Last time I checked, TPF was a place to learn and to help others. Comments, like the aforementioned, are completely useless to furthering the education of people who want to learn photography. Those comments could also make newbie photographers NOT post anything at all out of fear that their work is not up to par. In no way am I saying that a person should only reply with attaboy comments, but a person should be constructive with their comments and critiques.

eh, I'm guilty of it. Only becasue I would want the same honesty returned to me.

I feel if you post anywhere besides "just for fun" your asking for honest critiquing. And to me, there's nothing more "to the point" than telling someone if their snapshot is.. well.. a snapshot.

think Kelly that That One Guy is not refering to the crit of the work so much as the total lack of advice for how to improve the shot or even more detail as to why (in the opinion of the person) that it is a snapshot and not a "photo".
Personally I am of the opinion that anyone can comment and crit, but that if you are going to do so then backup your statments with reasons and if something is wrong suggest how to make it better (or be brave and if you don't know admit that you don't)

eh, I'm guilty of it. Only becasue I would want the same honesty returned to me.

I feel if you post anywhere besides "just for fun" your asking for honest critiquing. And to me, there's nothing more "to the point" than telling someone if their snapshot is.. well.. a snapshot.

I can see your point, but if your critique begins and ends with "just a snapshot" .....how did that help? It didn't educate the OP in the least on how they could make the photo better the next time and it doesn't tell them about what they did right.

think Kelly that That One Guy is not refering to the crit of the work so much as the total lack of advice for how to improve the shot or even more detail as to why (in the opinion of the person) that it is a snapshot and not a "photo".
Personally I am of the opinion that anyone can comment and crit, but that if you are going to do so then backup your statments with reasons and if something is wrong suggest how to make it better (or be brave and if you don't know admit that you don't)

Thank you Overread. My point exactly :)

That a boy ThatOneGuy (sorry I do not know your real name)! Too often photographers take an elitist approach which is so wrong in many ways. Photography is a never ending journey for everyone. Posting of photos and getting feed back can and should be a powerful learning tool. People who post words like snapshots are just being ignorant. If you have something to say about a photo you should be able to explain your self and ways too improve the photo. Other then that keep your mouth shut.

I would like to hear everyone's definition of a snapshot. That may be asking for trouble, but I can tell you that we would end hearing a bunch of technical ramblings making little or no sense. Please, please, please people; let us work together and share knowledge. Brutally honest is fine as long as knowledge is shared.

)'(

That a boy ThatOneGuy (sorry I do not know your real name)! Too often photographers take an elitist approach which is so wrong in many ways. Photography is a never ending journey for everyone. Posting of photos and getting feed back can and should be a powerful learning tool. People who post words like snapshots are just being ignorant. If you have something to say about a photo you should be able to explain your self and ways too improve the photo. Other then that keep your mouth shut.

I would like to hear everyone's definition of a snapshot. That may be asking for trouble, but I can tell you that we would end hearing a bunch of technical ramblings making little or no sense. Please, please, please people; let us work together and share knowledge. Brutally honest is fine as long as knowledge is shared.

)'(

Thank you Craig :).

You are one of the most knowledgeable photographers on this forum and I have seen you take the time to help others out with how to improve a shot. You've even helped me before :)

Often I don't see snapshot or photo - (that might be inexperience speaking). Mostly I go by the comments of the photographer - if they say they were walking along and the bird flies up and they grab a shot that is a "snapshot" no planning no time to prepare. A photo is more planned - they have time to set the settings and stalk their subject. The two are different types.
Past that I don't like to use the term "snapshot" as it seems to me to be insulting to the photographer - a beginner can take ages and still get a "snapshot" effect - to say its a snapshot makes it sound like they put no effort into taking the shot. Rather I think some shots are works of art/skill/luck and others are more "standard".

I wont get into a big discussion about this, but if something is not posted in 'just for fun', has your kid with a big wad of drool, snot from their nose, harsh sunlight sitting by a pool with grandma holding him, then thats a snapshot.

how do you critique snapshots like that??? I say usually "cool for the family album as a snapshot" or something like that because beyond that, I don't know how you could really interpret that as anything more???? If its in 'just for fun' then at least, that makes sense. But in general gallery... well, I don't know.

I am also feeling a *little* defensive as I feel this post was started right after I posted a comment that said something similar so I'm feeling on the attack.

If you browse through my replied posts, you will see that not only do I VERY often offer constructive advice, critisism and helpful answers, but I also take the time to PS others pictures for them and respond to many many newbs posts.

I wont get into a big discussion about this, but if something is not posted in 'just for fun', has your kid with a big wad of drool, snot from their nose, harsh sunlight sitting by a pool with grandma holding him, then thats a snapshot.

how do you critique snapshots like that??? I say usually "cool for the family album as a snapshot" or something like that because beyond that, I don't know how you could really interpret that as anything more???? If its in 'just for fun' then at least, that makes sense. But in general gallery... well, I don't know.

kelly, all I am saying is that we ALL need to be more constructive in our crits. Constructive critiques followed up by advice on improvements is a great teaching tool.

I am also feeling a *little* defensive as I feel this post was started right after I posted a comment that said something similar so I'm feeling on the attack.

If you browse through my replied posts, you will see that not only do I VERY often offer constructive advice, critisism and helpful answers, but I also take the time to PS others pictures for them and respond to many many newbs posts.

kelly I can assure you that in no way am I attacking you. I am not made that way. I will not attack or single out any member publicly. Yes I do know that you do offer advice and help.

Often I don't see snapshot or photo - (that might be inexperience speaking). Mostly I go by the comments of the photographer - if they say they were walking along and the bird flies up and they grab a shot that is a "snapshot" no planning no time to prepare. A photo is more planned - they have time to set the settings and stalk their subject. The two are different types.
Past that I don't like to use the term "snapshot" as it seems to me to be insulting to the photographer - a beginner can take ages and still get a "snapshot" effect - to say its a snapshot makes it sound like they put no effort into taking the shot. Rather I think some shots are works of art/skill/luck and others are more "standard".

I agree Overread. If the reply is "just a snapshot" then it is very negative. Negativity is NOT a teaching tool at all. Even though someone may post a photo that will never see the cover of Time magazine, it still deserves the same amount of constructive criticism and attention as those photos which will grace a museum one day.

Well I know there are a few people like that, who just pan the photo and, offer no advice. But I usually igmore their posts myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back