I just ordered a 300d! =) *lens question*

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by willg133, Mar 17, 2005.

1. willg133

willg133 TPF Noob!

I am so excited...I have been shooting with a film rebel and a coolpix 5700....this seemed like the next move. I got the kit lens, but I am going to be in the market for a more extreme telephoto zoom soon and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. This one looks good to me and it takes over where the kit lens leaves off which is convienent.

EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 USM II $200

[​IMG]

is that a good lens for me? I am not a pro, but I would like something sharp for big enlargements
    -thanks

2. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hope you got a good deal on the 300D...because the 350D was just released and is the upgraded replacement to the 300D.

I don't know about that lens in particular but you should be able to dig up some reviews on the net.

If you really want a sharp lens for big enlargments...cheap zoom lenses are not the way to go. Especially ones that offer a fairly wide zoom range (like 55-200). There are very sharp zoom lenses but they are very expensive...check prices for any Canon lens that has an 'L' in the name. :shock:

The sharpest lenses for the money are prime lenses. Take a look at the 50mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2 etc.

There are other ways to maximize sharpness for making big enlargements. A tripod & remote shutter release being very important IMO.

Here is a link to all of Canon's EF lenses http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lineup/ but don't be afraid to look at Tamron & Sigma lenses as well.

4. Kent Frost

Kent Frost TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Or if you really wanna put some money into it, they've made IS lenses for their DSLRs. 17-85 4-5.6 USM Image Stabilized Lens. Then you could get the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. You'd have 17-300 covered.

God knows I would love to have the 10-22mm lens for my Digital Rebel. Ultra Wide angle is cool, but hard to get on these things.

[​IMG]

5. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

Will... is that a poliot watch in your avatar?
    Yeah, right...

Why not get 28-300... then u have it all covered and u don't have to change lenses at all :roll:

Digital is demanding on lenses. 75-300 is fost and low contrast.

Kit lens is ok: 18-55 or 17-85 are will give you ok quality for good price. If you have the cash, go for 17-40 L - much better. This way you'll be able to stay away from EF-S lenses altogether.

If you want value, go for 70-200 f/4 L 550 bucks. Any other zoom will not outresolve the rebel's sensor.

Cheers

6. willg133

willg133 TPF Noob!

thanks a lot...i guess i just need to use the kit lens and look around at camera shops eventually. Until then, I'll zoom with my feet.

Doc, its actually a Vostok. I recently got it from an online dealer shipped from russia for $29.50, but the strap was terrible so i picked up a new one. Manual wind...keeps decent time, i think it might be running a bit fast right now, i might have to adjust it a little, but I have heard of people getting them within 10 seconds a day.

[​IMG]

7. DocFrankenstein

I thought it looked similar :)

I basically have the same one. Who is the dealer?

8. willg133

willg133 TPF Noob!

some store on ebay, i dont remember. russarmy.com has a lot of them, my friend ordered an automatic from them and it came very quickly. any pics of your watch? what brand is yours?

9. walter23

walter23 TPF Noob!

There's an ebay seller called zenit who sells polyot watches and other stuff like that, plus russian camera gear. I was amused to read that a full wind will last 36 hours! Guaranteed!

Hey, you grow up with the television insisting that C.C.C.P. is synonymous with Planet-Melting Human-Vaporizing Nuclear Armageddon and it's easy to develop a fascination with F.S.U. memorabilia, like cameras and watches and mailorder brides in leopard-print stirrup pants :)

10. DocFrankenstein

Mine is chistopol zavod. "the commander's?" Komandirskie/generalskie.

They overprice them though. 50 bucks is way too much. Over there they sell for 8-10 :p

I also had an amphibia, but I was jumping from a roof. A nail got under the strap as I was jumping, so I twisted my hand... broke the strap... they fell about 4 meters and landed on a concrete. The mechanism survived but the minute arrow broke off. :(

But I ordered 4 more from my uncle! haha Should be here in a month or so. :)
    Why amused? It does last at least that much.
    Maybe that's just cause all of them are quality items at reasonable prices? HAHA! :D

That amphibia btw had only 10-15 second lag straight from the box.

Fotolubitel - menia zovut Andrei. A vas kak?

11. DocFrankenstein

BTW: Didn't find zenit seller on ebay.

12. willg133

willg133 TPF Noob!

are they so cheap over there because of the exchange rate or what? it seems like the work and materials put into those watches is worth more than $10