I just purchased a 400D

$262.30 with free shipping!!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm-4-0-5-6-Telephoto-Digital/dp/B0011NVMO8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225383357&sr=8-1[/ame]

This is the lens I have and is great for what I need. It doesn't have USM, but I don't think many/any USM lenses are under $300.

Last edited:
I think this is a great deal, although I'm looking to replace the lens in the next 3 months, any suggestions for an all-around lens with USM and IS?

my budget is $300

Gonna be pretty hard trying to find an all around lens with both USM and IS for under $300. I have 3 suggestions for you.

#1 for $225 you can get a Canon EF 28-105mm USM.

or you can wait a little longer;
save another $50 and probably get

#3 ~$350 Sigma 18-125mm OS HSM (same as IS USM)

save another $100 and probably get

#3 ~$400 Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS

#4 ~$400 Sigma 18-200mm OS (same as IS)

I currently own the Sigma 18-200mm OS on my XTi and I'm very pleased with it.

$262.30 with free shipping!!

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250m...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225383357&sr=8-1

This is the lens I have and is great for what I need. It doesn't have USM, but I don't think many/any USM lenses are under $300.

This is a good idea considering you already have the kit lens to work the wide-angle shots. And with the extra cash, I highly recommend you buy the Nifty-50 for around $90 free shipping. It is a must have.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225384346&sr=8-1[/ame]

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok 2 questions

1. Im not sure why the "nifty 50" is necessary when I have the kit lens

2. Id like to shoot minor indoor motion (with flash unless rules against it), would IS or USM be more helpful for this?

oh and thank you for all your insight it has deff put me in a better direction than I was going.

I'm a noob too but from what I hear, the nifty fifty takes good pictures in low light (good for indoors), it's sharp, and it's fast. Getting mine today :D

Thats what Im looking for, I thought USM and IS helped with that. I know they help with 130mm + lens since its hard to hold a camera steady zoomed in.

Ahh, I just want to make sure I buy the right things, I feel pretty lucky with what I have so far and im hoping once I understand my kit lens boundaries it will help me feel better with upgrading.

the 50mm 1.8 is awesome. Like thaliagoo said, it takes great pictures in low light, is super sharp and worth its weight in gold. I love taking all sorts of pictures with it.

well for the $90 price tag it seems like I can't go wrong, I'll pick it up in a few weeks. This should be good to start out with for a few months :thumbup:

damn after seeing this http://photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

It makes me want the 1.4 ef 50mm instead, Bokeh is something I really wanted to experiment with and it seems much better on the 1.4 and would work awesome for portraits. It says the lens is more solid too. I can deal with the $300 price tag but its going to suck not having a nice 135mm or 200mm lens to play with for awhile.

I'm a noob too but from what I hear, the nifty fifty takes good pictures in low light (good for indoors)...

Thats what Im looking for, I thought USM and IS helped with that.

As I know, USM only helps with focusing faster and quieter.

www.slrphotographyguide.com said:
What are the advantages of using Canons range of ring USM lens?
  • The main advantage of using a ring USM, is that the motor is built into the lens so that it can auto focus faster than a standard lens.
  • Canon's USM / UltraSonic Motors, are also famous for being quieter than standard motors used in cheaper lenses. This is useful for wildlife photographers, where animals and insects could become spooked from noisy camera parts.

go to the fredmiranda.com classifieds for used stuff. Tons of items. You can probably find an ef-s 17-85mm f4-5.6 USM IS for around 300-350. Quite an update from the kit lens. As far as the 50mm f/1.4, its an amazing lens. It will not replace your kit lens as it is far to narrow for wide angle shots and is pretty tight indoors. It does have some crazy shallow DOF. Below is a quick pic showing the dof at f/1.4.

Randomness052.jpg

Well, good luck choosing. Just remember, the 55-200 and the 50mm are not replacements but serve different purposes. The 17-85mm is a sharper, faster focusing, overall better lens that IS a replacement to the kit lens.

Nick

Most reactions

Back