I just remembered...

core_17 said:
I'm guessing since his location is "western Iraq" that he's still in the military! :lol:
Corry, forgive me, but wo0t!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that that's out of the way, yeah bace I'm still in. I'm in Iraq. I chose the Army, my brother is a marine, my sister was in the Army. I got to see both worlds. The Army seemed more my bag. Silly me!!!!! No just kidding, I wouldn't have done it any other way.

hobbes28 said:
No because you pre judge people as being prejudice... ;)

So i'm the hypocrit? With all the people here that prejudged all "ravers" as hippie glowstick toteing drug addicts?

Not to mention that my exact quote was...

I understand the goal, And i'm sorry if I sound like i'm being incensitive, but this just sounds very prejudice? If that's the right word.

Photographers only giving to photographers. It's not like giving to the underprivelidged or animals. It's giving to photographers. Who if they were any good, would probably have a way to get out when the warning was given. They'd probably take all their equipment too. They may have lost venues to take pictures, but I doubt they need any more help than those who have NOTHING. I just don't see why photographers need more help than the thousands that never had the means to start thier own business. If you ask me, photographers have a better chance at pulling through this than those that were poor as hell.

Sue me for commenting.

Anyway this is a mute point. Let's agree to disagree and drop it.

0000003.jpg

WOW!!!

Just to nipperpick...er...nitpick about particular military acronyms. LASER is an interesting acronym. It's technically proper to spell it out in all uppercase letters since, as is the case with acronyms, each letter stands for a word...Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. However, it's become so ingrained in the language it's most often treated much as any other word, being spelled as Laser or laser and and is even modified as the verb to laze.

I can think of a good reason for using the term "Directed Energy Weapons" as opposed to lasers. Not all lasers are DEWs and vice versa. MASERs (Microwave Amplification by...) and particle beam devices can also be used as DEWs, although lasers are probably more often used.

I maintained avionic sensor systems (such as Pave Spike and Pave Tack) for the first 12 years of my USAF career. Many of these systems employed lasers to determine precise ranges to ground targets, and by their reflection, direct laser-guide ordnance with accuracy. This and other more mundane uses are far more common than spiffy-gee-whiz DEWs.

Now as for military acronyms in general...they may seem crazy or nonsensical to you but they serve an important purpose. When widley understood in their area of use, they make for succinct but effective communication. If it can be pronounced as a word of sorts, rather than a string of letters, so much the better. Why say Target Identification System, Electro-Optical when TISEO (tizz-ee-oh) will do?

Of course, using such jargon with someone that doesn't share a common core of experience and/or knowledge is more of a hindrance to effective communication. But then, a lot of folks forget themselves and use jargon that's become second nature after many years of immersion in it: doctors, lawyers, rappers, auto mechanics, IT and other computer folks, etc. I hardly think such common miscommunication hardly qualifies as "retardedly stupid."

But then, I just might by FUBAR which is often SNAFU for me. But FWIW, IIRC, a lot of ppl have that prob IMHO so plz don't LOL @ me. YMMV. TTFN. BBL. ;)

PetersCreek said:
But then, I just might by FUBAR which is often SNAFU for me. But FWIW, IIRC, a lot of ppl have that prob IMHO so plz don't LOL @ me. YMMV. TTFN. BBL. ;)

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: and another :biglaugh:

PetersCreek said:
Just to nipperpick...er...nitpick about particular military acronyms. LASER is an interesting acronym. It's technically proper to spell it out in all uppercase letters since, as is the case with acronyms, each letter stands for a word...Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. However, it's become so ingrained in the language it's most often treated much as any other word, being spelled as Laser or laser and and is even modified as the verb to laze.

I can think of a good reason for using the term "Directed Energy Weapons" as opposed to lasers. Not all lasers are DEWs and vice versa. MASERs (Microwave Amplification by...) and particle beam devices can also be used as DEWs, although lasers are probably more often used.

I maintained avionic sensor systems (such as Pave Spike and Pave Tack) for the first 12 years of my USAF career. Many of these systems employed lasers to determine precise ranges to ground targets, and by their reflection, direct laser-guide ordnance with accuracy. This and other more mundane uses are far more common than spiffy-gee-whiz DEWs.

Now as for military acronyms in general...they may seem crazy or nonsensical to you but they serve an important purpose. When widley understood in their area of use, they make for succinct but effective communication. If it can be pronounced as a word of sorts, rather than a string of letters, so much the better. Why say Target Identification System, Electro-Optical when TISEO (tizz-ee-oh) will do?

Of course, using such jargon with someone that doesn't share a common core of experience and/or knowledge is more of a hindrance to effective communication. But then, a lot of folks forget themselves and use jargon that's become second nature after many years of immersion in it: doctors, lawyers, rappers, auto mechanics, IT and other computer folks, etc. I hardly think such common miscommunication hardly qualifies as "retardedly stupid."

I do actually have a great appreciation for the shortening of Military terms. If I had to say half of the things in full I'd be on the phone a lot more. The conference I worked on regarding DEW's included many different technologies and applications.

Pulsed Energy Projectiles
Air Laser
Electromagnetic Rail Guns - Bullet travels at 290m/s, projectile from rail gun...13,000m/s
Active Denial System - Directed Microwave Beam used in crowd control
Zeus Ordinance Destroyer (currently being used to destroy IED's, which is the conference subject that i'm working on right now)

Most reactions

Back