i knew i loved you before i met you

I'm not sure I can be much more 'easy' going, but here's a neutral, if nothing else, list for #1:

1. (technical) Highlights completely blown, so much so that detail is gone from the face. This also causes the dark circles around the eyes to be more pronounced.
2. (technical) Focus is blown. The focus in the first shot is on the left shoulder of the subject. It also appears to be on the background. That boggles me as to how that might have happened, but the image speaks for itself.
3. (technical/artistic) It wasn't taken with a fast enough shutter speed to stop-in-motion the hair, nor was it short enough to imply motion. It simply looks blurry.
4. (artistic) The negative space above the head doesn't work for this kind of image in the quantities presented. More might be worse, less might be better.
5. (artistic/technical) The depth of field doesn't separate the subject from the background adequately. Looking at the exif, I'm not sure that would even be possible with that camera, but that is a weakness of the image.
6. (artistic, some technical facets) As mentioned, the subject's clothing choice, the whites with that light cause blowouts, the colors and textures mismatch, clash, actually, it appears she's just gotten out of bed.
7. (artistic) subject might not be far enough along to really carry through a maternity photo. My wife never could when she was pregnant because of her carrying position. This doesn't work with some people.
8. (artistic) over-saturated. Saturating and desaturating images with fleshtones can be very difficult lest your subjects end up looking jaundiced or undead.

The first image is rife with a number of technical flaws and artistic missteps. Perhaps if the technical issues were addressed (by properly focusing and exposing), it would be easier to provide helpful critique from an artistic perspective.

So, easy? No. Honest? Yes. There's much to learn from this image in terms of what not to do or what to do better next time. And hell, I wish I'd get half as much *any* critique on anything I post :p

Keep in mind we're in beginner's forum here, so go easy...

I am going easy! Was I harsh? If so, I didn't mean to be. I am a beginner, too, and I could have easily snapped a shot of someone with dirty nails (in fact I HAVE). It still drives me crazy.:lmao:

I am going easy! Was I harsh? If so, I didn't mean to be. I am a beginner, too, and I could have easily snapped a shot of someone with dirty nails (in fact I HAVE). It still drives me crazy.:lmao:

hehe, sorry, wasn't meaning to pick on you specifically... I lova ya', man! :)

7. (artistic) subject might not be far enough along to really carry through a maternity photo. My wife never could when she was pregnant because of her carrying position. This doesn't work with some people.

I didn't quite know how to say it. But I thought the same thing.

We all have to start somewhere! I'm sure you started out taking snapshots ;)

Agreed. #2 is alright, but #1 is overexposed, oversaturated, out of focus. Also, have the model dress for the occasion, especially if she is pregnant.

I don't want to go through a list so I just say dido.

I do think wonderful shots are possible with this model.

yea, my feelings are very much the same as many of the above.. as someone who has done maternity shots, and whose wife is going to pop any day now... i believe maternity photos should show love and care, and i dont know if it was your suggestion, or maybe shes just your gf or wife and you were taking shots of her... but, even when it was my wife, while I know she loves to wear sweat pant and a grubby loose shirt (i understand that nothing fits anymore) i still had her take the time to "doll herself up" these pictures are pictures that the child is eventually see.. and you want the child to say "mommy was happy to have me" but unfortunatley, the pj's and tank top shirt just dont really show this.... now mind you all of this is a personal opinion, its not techical... but i do believe that the subject and the look of the subject is just as much an important part of the photo as the technical sides..

a thought on post processing for the second one... she obviously has her belly button pierced.. I would clone out the hole.. its very distracting. EDIT: (and i just read through the forums and noticed this was already suggested)

heres some samples of ones of my wife about a month ago (gotta do some more this week before she pops).. now mind you, i know that these photos arent spectacular, but we like them... it was one of my first real sessions with umbrellas and such..
n513738225_1010781_665.jpg

n513738225_1018697_9897.jpg

Last edited:
Chris, your wife's a doll.. Don't mean to hijack the thread... Chris made me do it!

Also, when it comes to skin, I think that less is more.. The OP's subject doesn't have an attractive belly button.. She should make the hand-heart either higher or over a shirt. Who wants a picture where all the imperfections have been "cloned" out.. It's like a portrait where pores are smoothed and skin is tanned and backgrounds are perfected, and then when you meet that person you don't recognize them... Keep it natural, and make it right.

This is the beginners forum, you know... Maybe share a bit of advice or something that would help, instead of swooping in, passing judgement and swooping back out?

Anyway, I agree with everyone else. The clothing is what kills these pictures. Even these exact same poses with more appropriate clothing would make much stronger shots.

Also maybe clone out that belly button piercing hole in the second shot. :p

No reason for the attitude, my honesty is meant to be constructive. All the advice that has been given about being more presentable in the picture is good. But the pictures are overexposed and not sharp at all, which is what i'd expect from a point and shoot camera. Cloning out blemishes and playing with the pics in photoshop will be pointless, IMO. The best advice here would be to read up on the basics of photography and learn to use the camera. Having good ideas about composition is great, but you have to start with the technical stuff first. Sorry if I was too harsh.

No reason for the attitude, my honesty is meant to be constructive. All the advice that has been given about being more presentable in the picture is good. But the pictures are overexposed and not sharp at all, which is what i'd expect from a point and shoot camera. Cloning out blemishes and playing with the pics in photoshop will be pointless, IMO. The best advice here would be to read up on the basics of photography and learn to use the camera. Having good ideas about composition is great, but you have to start with the technical stuff first. Sorry if I was too harsh.

No problem. That's more like what I think should be given here. Just telling someone that their pictures are boring or lacking, without giving any sort of explanation as to why, doesn't really do anything except discourage them, imho.

Alrighty, since it says it's okay to edit your pix, I did a 10 min adjustment to it.

This is more to show what can be done--i really should have spent more time clipping her out of the blurred background.

025post.jpg

Respectfully submitted,
-Ted

True. But I started with a fully manual camera, a few lenses and several books. Where anyone who is serious about the craft should start.

Sorry, dude, but uh, you don't get to dictate where people should start with an art form.
It isn't science. There isn't a proven theory as to what is better and what isn't. Nothing is carved in stone. There are, and can be, suggestions or advice as to what has worked best for others, but nothing is proven.

People start where they want to, and take pictures of what they want to.
People evolve with their art, and most start out taking snapshots. No one was born a fabulous photographer. Even "fabulous" is subjective.
Most of us are born with eyes, and perspectives develop over time.

If you were a nice person, you'd give advice and be gentler to a newcomer. And you wouldn't come here with some pretentious "be all end all" attitude.

"just snapshots, nothing impressive here"
Ouch. What a way to knock down a beginner, or at the very least, be absolutely not helpful.

Sorry, dude, but uh, you don't get to dictate where people should start with an art form.
It isn't science. There isn't a proven theory as to what is better and what isn't. Nothing is carved in stone. There are, and can be, suggestions or advice as to what has worked best for others, but nothing is proven.

People start where they want to, and take pictures of what they want to.
People evolve with their art, and most start out taking snapshots. No one was born a fabulous photographer. Even "fabulous" is subjective.
Most of us are born with eyes, and perspectives develop over time.

If you were a nice person, you'd give advice and be gentler to a newcomer. And you wouldn't come here with some pretentious "be all end all" attitude.

"just snapshots, nothing impressive here"
Ouch. What a way to knock down a beginner, or at the very least, be absolutely not helpful.

Geez, chill out. It is my opinion that if a person wants to learn photography and become really good at it, they should be shooting with an slr so they can understand the basic concepts of aperture, shutter speed, and depth of field, things you're not going to fully learn with a point and shoot. That's all i'm saying, it is meant as helpful advice. Those who shoot with a point and shoot will get snapshots. Why limit yourself. If the original poster feels that she has the ability to be a good photographer, and she obviously does because she is making an effort and posting pictures here for c&c, then why should she limit herself. The "art" of photography can't "evolve", as you say, unless the artist masters the "craft". In photography, the "art" and "craft" aspects go hand in hand. Again, all this is meant to be helpful. Sorry it if comes off arrogant.

Most reactions

Back