I know a lot of you guys don't like car shots but C&C wanted.

jeff_scott

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally took an afternoon to take some car shots with a friend. Neither of us had time to do it near sundown so the sun was being a dirty whore all day and making things a little tough. C&C wanted.

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

Shot 8 was good except for the lens hood coming into the shot, I like the picture quality itself though.

Let me know what you guys think.

Good effort, I liked 6 and 7, all of your shots show motion so that is good. As you mentioned, the first few have light issue. But lets not say anything bad about the sun :)

Overall :thumbup:

Good effort, I liked 6 and 7, all of your shots show motion so that is good. As you mentioned, the first few have light issue. But lets not say anything bad about the sun :)

Overall :thumbup:

Thanks. I know this is a broad question and probably a little difficult to answer but what would you recommend doing differently in the first few shots?

Wait for the sundown :)

There are many reflections and part of the background is washed out. I would try to get both the car and the background in focus.

I am not a pro but this is what I would try :)

Wait for the sundown :)

There are many reflections and part of the background is washed out. I would try to get both the car and the background in focus.

I am not a pro but this is what I would try :)

Touche on the sundown, I wish both my friend and I had the time.

Advice on getting both the background and subject in focus, noted as well.

Thanks!

You can make noon look like midnight, if you know how to use strobed light.
I remember seeing some of your work, so what is your secret :)

Unfortunately I'm not that experienced with lighting equipment, however I am more than open for beginner advice on lighting techniques.

there too many pics to C&C all but....

1) lighit is blown out on left side of photo
2) harsh lighting on background wall and on front of car
3) front and back reflections...
4)ok....
5) i like
6) is cool just too much shadow/darkness front of car
7) slightly out of focus...i like wat ur trying to do.
8) cool shot overall w/o the lens in the way...

I remember seeing some of your work, so what is your secret :)
There is no secret to it.

Having an understanding of how a camera works helps a great deal though.

What happens when you set the aperture to a small lens opening, ambient light wise? Not much light gets in.

The fastest shutter speed that can sync with strobed light at full power is 1/200 or 1/250 depending on the camera, or if the camera has the feature you can use FP/HSS sync mode and use any shutter speed that is faster than the normal sync speed.

With dSLR's you have 2 choices for when strobed light fires. At the begining of the exposure (front/first curtain sync) or at the end of the exposure (rear/second curtain sync).

Think about what happens in each situation and investigate how long a burst of light from a strobe lasts based on it's power setting.

For a a Nikon SB-600 has a duration of the flash at
1/1 power = 1/900
1/2 power = 1/1600
1/4 power = 1/3400
1/8 power = 1/6600 (faster than the fastest shutter speed D3000/D5000/D90)
1/16 power = 1/11,100 (faster than any Nikon shutter made)
1/32 power = 1/20,000
1/64 power is 1/25,000

So, with a small lens opening restricting the amount of light getting in, the shutter set to the normal sync speed (1/200 or 1/250), the camera set to rear/second curtain sync, flash set to full power, the flash takes over the function of the shutter and can stop motion since the duration of a SB-600 is 1/900 or shorter.

The shutter speed then actually controls the background exposure, rather than being a means to stop motion.

You control the exposure of the subject with the speedlight power output and/or the lens aperture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back