I came into possession of my dad's kit yesterday which includes:

Minolta SR T 101 film camera & Minolta lenses,
35mm f 2.8,
55mm f 1.7,
100mm f 3.5,
200mm f 4.5,
a vari-close-up
& a 2x custom Tele-converter.

Do any of you good folk know if the lenses would fit/work on a Sony dSLR body?

Dadskit.jpg

I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I believe Minolta had 2 types of lenses for their film cameras...or more like different mounting threads. You have the newer AF ones and the older MC or MD ones.

The AF ones should fit on newer SLR cameras, but the older MC or MD ones would not. Although there might be adapters out there that would let you do it.

I see on the lens mounted to your camera in your picture that its an MC, so I would think they wouldn't fit on a new digital camera.

Sony now owns Minolta. So your best bet would be to bring your lenses in to a good camera store and try them out on Sony cameras. I did this when I got my mother's Canon film camera lenses and turns out they fit perfectly AND the auto focus works fine.

Pretty sure they wont unless they're AF minolta's.

Thanks guys, I will take the kit to a Henrys store to confirm the disappointing opinion. If true, & I expect you two are correct, it is a damn shame this good glass is scrap in the face of digital photography. :(

If they don't fit natively, make sure to check eBay for the converters. I hear you'll lose out on AF, though ... :/

Or you can always pick up shooting film. Actually - I have an old film Nikon with Nikkor glass sitting on my floor ... I think it's time I hit film (or eBay) myself.

Thanks guys, I will take the kit to a Henrys store to confirm the disappointing opinion. If true, & I expect you two are correct, it is a damn shame this good glass is scrap in the face of digital photography
Should've used Nikon, I can mount any lens they've made since 1959 on my D40...

*runs*

;)

newbs to the tpf trying to start yet another flame war? :er:

Remember.. Minolta made the first successfully in-body marketed AF camera. So back in the 80s people were saying "Should've purchased a Minolta.."

and Nikon is not the only system that is backwards compatible with lenses of yesteryears.

Last edited:
I kinda had the same problem. My dad bought a minolta when he was in college in the 70s, and got alot of nice lenses to go with it. When I got my A-100 a couple of years ago I went to him as soon as I got the camera to try out the lenses...needless to say I was a little disappointed.

You may want to hold onto it, shoot some film now and then, you might decide you like it. (about 90% of what I shoot for my personal work is on film)

erie

Most reactions

Back