I know we have hot tips threads

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Karalee, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    But Im shooting a large family reunion next weekend and was just wondering if anyone had any tips and tricks or pearls of wisdom to share?

Also Im looking for advice on group shots that maybe arent as stale as the whole "Ok bunch together, look at the camera.... say cheese!!" kind of thing. Ooh I may be pushing my luck but if anyone knows any websites where I could get some inspiration, it would be appreciated!

2. Mindii

Mindii TPF Noob!

Try getting a higher viewpoint in order to fit the whole group in withouth having anyone hide behind the others. I find that sometimes and I know it sounds crazy but getting them to throw one arm up in the air works as a nice fun shot.

3. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Try different ways of placing the group. Use the groupings to focus attention on a couple of key people...

For ex.: [​IMG]

4. M @ k o

M @ k o TPF Noob!

Karalee,

Your a good a shooter ! I don't think you need much help here. I've been taking quit a few group shoots this summer, beach, indoor/outdoor ect. However way you set them up, make sure your @ F8 or even higher to get everyone in focus, especially the eyes. As the popular print size for most people is an 8x10 or even an 11x14 , always give room in the frame for the crop factor.

I would also, if possible, use studio lighting with a big umbrella, it really helps out especially for the ones that wear glasses "no glare". Setting them up in a triangle formation is always good with big groups. Also make sure the people in the back row are looking over the shoulders and not the head of the person in front of them, causing them to have a half of face in the final shot. Take quit a few frames also, cause more than likely, someone is going to have their damn eyes close. And most importantly... GET THE SHOT ! CAPTURE THE MOMENT ! AND HAVE FUN WITH THEM.

8 )