I know which lens...How about a case for it?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by kundalini, Oct 3, 2007.

1. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have decided to purchase the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon Telephoto AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF (the f/2.8 will have to wait) along with the TC17 E II teleconverter. I was wondering if you would get a padded lens case as well? Or just settle with the soft case provided.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The review on the Lowepro is not good, but it is only one persons opinion. I got one for my 12-24mm, but it won't handle the hood, so I have to put it in the body of my bag. My bag is full.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I do plan to be hiking while carrying the lens. All suggestions welcomed.[/FONT][/FONT]

2. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the case probably sucks. If it's anything like the 70-200mm canon L case, which is soft as a baby's bottom...you're gonna want something padded.

3. Sweetsomedays

Sweetsomedays TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My 80-200 f/2.8 came with a kick ass lens case big black leather toob lookin thing with soft red padding inside....but I never use it. The lens is usualy always attached to my camera body.

4. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

When I bought my 70-200 2.8VR I got a very good padded case for it that I would trust in just about any condition. Before you buy a case for your lens I would find out what kind of case actually comes with it I think you might be surprised at the quality you will get with a $1000+ lens.

5. JIP

I did a google search and the case that comes with the 300 F/4 is the cl-m2 and it is the same case that comes with the 70-200 2.8VR and it is a very sturdy reliable case in my opinion. If you want to look for yourself I would suggest doing a google search for cl-m2.

6. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks

JIP. I had just done this, as well as looking at B&H. They sell it for $50 bucks so I'm guessing it's good enough to start off with at least.

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What about getting a bigger bag...or else thinning down your current bag by prioritizing your gear and taking out what you don't need?

I have 5 or 6 camera bags now...none of them will hold all my gear but if I know what type of excursion I will be on, I pack appropriately. Or at least I try to.

8. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    A man after my own heart... more stuff, bigger bag... too much stuff for one bag, then two bags.

Rinse, repeat.

9. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes sir, No sir, three bags Full sir.:lol:

That's on my list as well.

I can just imagine that what's left behind will come in handy when I get there.

10. JIP

Well I can tell you the case that comes with the lens is waaay too big to fit into any camera bag. So you will be needing to buy a new overall bag to hold your gear or live with having to carry this lens around in it's own case all the time.

11. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Ya...that's probably my enxt investment is a huge bag...but they're expensive, and I'm in college...lol.

Problem is...you can never get a bag big enough...but you want one small enough to fit in your SUV...ahaha