I love Sony!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Anita, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Anita

Anita TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    OK, I have everything Sony and love it. It is industry standard in the video broadcast industry and I think the little digital DSC's with the Carl Zeiss lenses are incredible for what they do.

However, I am in the market for a professional digital SLR and am hearing that Sony is coming out with one.

Anybody heard of this and when?

2. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  3. Anita

Anita TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  4. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Sony will produce a professional quality image ... but the camera is far below both Nikon and Canon in professional features and at the price listed I suspect that build quality is also far below Canon and Nikon professional series of cameras.

5. I also am a Sony fan, and know that Sony has set the pro standard within a few years every time they've decided to enter a sector - video equipment and sound production (and reproduction) just to name two. Sony WILL come out with a pro-level camera. The good thing is that there are hundreds of good Konika Minolta lenses that will fit the Sony camera (Sony bought the two merged companies two years ago as a jump-start into the sector.) If you're going to build a camera system, Sony is a very smart bet. If you need pro-level stuff now, think about how you're defining that. Right now their sensors are quite good - they make the sensors for Nikon, which are considered market leaders right now. Sony's are NOT weather-sealed, so if you're going to Iraq you'll need something with better dust seals. I think their build quality is fine, but no better than the mid-level products from Nikon or Canon.

Good luck, there's a lot of great products out there from many highly competent companies. This is a highly competitive sector, and as consumers its raining goodies these days as they compete for our affection.

6. gizmo2071

gizmo2071 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't the top line nikons use Sony sensors?

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes. Last time I checked..

80% of all the digital cameras used sony sensors. Canon's DSLRs use their own sensors.. BUT. Canon's point and shoots use Sony too.

8. Anita

Anita TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great advice Iron! Thanks.

One of my collegues told me that a Sony pro camera is coming out sometime at the end of this year, but I can't find any info out about it.

9. They are definitely coming!

They exhibited these as a foretaste:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

So Seefutlung... would you say the Sony is well below the D40 in professional features and well below the Rebel in build quality? ;) Consider the sector the A100 is aiming for...
    Sony is however coming out with a more advanced model that is designed to compete with the D200 or 30D, and a further professional-grade model. If they can live up to the standard set by the old Dynax 7 and 9 among Minolta's other higher-end cameras then they will be very impressive... the problem of course being that you can't buy them yet :)

11. carusoswi

carusoswi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    After much inner debate, I purchased the Alpha 100. I have read and heard plenty about how it is not pro-level. But, after doing my own research, I decided that it meets my needs.

I'd love to see a listing of what makes a D200 a more professional setup than the A100. My guess is that for most of us, there is no appreciable difference. If you need to shoot at 8 fps, then, obviously, the A100 isn't for you. What else is there? I'm shooting in RAW, so, I could care less about in-camera processing.

So, again, I'm wondering, what else is there? When I was shopping, I kept hearing about the build quality, that the Sony is more plastic, the Nikon a metal frame, etc. Ok, if you knock your equipment around, maybe that's important . . . it does not, however, affect the quality of the pictures you are able to take with either system. I am an avid cyclist, so, I appreciate the lighter weight of the Sony. I also own Minolta mound AF lenses that work with the Sony system.

The D200 would have set me back some $3,000 to get the system I now own as a result of sticking with the Minolta mount.

That wouldn't figure in for everyone, but it was a consideration for an old Minolta man like me.

These sorts of threads always seem to attract comments from posters who own one or the other system, but haven't used them both. Rather than comments from folks who are just repeating what they've read or heard, it would be nice to hear from someone (if there be such a person) who has used both the N200 and the A100.

Caruso

12. jon_k

jon_k TPF Noob!

North Richland Hills (Ft. Worth suburb) TX
    Photos OK to edit
    A big question here. What's the difference between an enthusiast and professional camera? I'm just wondering what the key difference is between two said lines of cameras.

I shoot with an E-500. It's a prosumer level camera, but not a pro camera. I mean is there anything different in the construction between a prosumer / enthusiast and a pro body? I'd just like some definitions of "pro" features that make a pro body a pro body.