I love this picture, but something isn't sitting right with me about it! I don't know

RowmyF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I am in LOVE with what is going on in this picture...but there's something about it that is just not right...not sure if it's post-processing (lighting being harsh) or just the composition..

I would love some opinions and perhaps suggestions of things I can do in post-processing that may fix it...

I think the capture is PRICELESS...

DSC_0415.jpg

Can we see the original, it is almost hrd to tell what could be done with it with the current PP on it.

it's defiantly the post, it's too much. The clothes are too saturated, the background isn't saturated enough, and you need to do some highlight recovery.

It's post-processing. The hair is chunky and the colors are through-the-roof saturated.

I agree with the others. Too hot on the contrast and saturation. GREAT photo though, even how it looks now. When you capture a sweet moment like that, all of the rest is secondary.

An edit, which I'll remove if you have any objection.

edittp3.jpg

The background needed more green anyway, and having bright pink dresses w/ a muted background throws off the color balance.

Last edited:
An edit. I just bumped the contrast a bit, brightened it up a hair. And then de saturated it a tiny bit to bring down the dress color. I also bumped the green saturation afterwords.
DSC_0415_1.jpg

I'd leave the original as-is, maybe just tone down the highlights on image right.

Alpha, I think you lost the WB on yours, or is that just my crappy work monitor again?

Alpha, I think you lost the WB on yours, or is that just my crappy work monitor again?

Not a wholly unreasonable assumption, but the greens and blues in the background are not a matter of white balance. If the WB was off you'd see it in the skin.

I really like how the background in Alpha's makes the girls pop out of the picture without looking over-saturated, but I think there's a bit too much blue in there to look wholly natural.

well, things naturally have all kinds of funky casts to them even under sunlight, so I'd hesitate to call it unnatural. However, I see what you mean about there being too much teal in the bg.

No one photoshopped the bandaid out of the picture. :lol:

Very nice picture. Really captured the moment.

Not a wholly unreasonable assumption, but the greens and blues in the background are not a matter of white balance. If the WB was off you'd see it in the skin.

You'd think the government could spring for a colour-corrected monitor for me! :grumpy:

Most reactions

Back