I loved the Canon 24-70 f/2.8, but....

Breanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't afford to buy it :lol: I rented it for a week and just had to send it back. I'm quite sad.

Any recommendations for a lens with similar qualities, but closer to the $500 price range? (24-70 is $1200). I've heard good things about the Sigma....

I second the Tamron. I've read many good things about them. I was torn when I bought my 24-70 f/2.8... In the end I just couldn't resist the red ring.

Can you rent the Tamron?

I have (had) both the Sigma (24-70 EX DG Macro) and Tamron (28-75). Both are great lenses in terms of IQ. The Tamron was more compact, the Sigma has faster AF. If you liked the Canon 24-70, then the Sigma is closer to it in build, size, etc. Either would be a good substitute in my opinion and I have seen them at or below $300 used.

Best of luck...

Yup, Sigma and Tamron have similar lenses that are almost as good but much less expensive.

Sigma 24-60MM F/2.8. 200 bucks from Cameta.

I've heard very good things about the Tamron, some saying that the image quality is actually better. I own the Sigma 18-50 F2.8, and am very happy with its performance so far. The Sigma 24-70 is very similar.

What would you recommend for a good wide angle lens for a crop sensor camera (outside of Canon's line)?

I don't know. I haven't bought an APS only lens in years. I'm using the Tamron 17-35 on my 5D, and it's great on 35mm format. The reviews of the new Tamron 10 to whatever aren't very flattering. On the other hand people rave about the Canon version. Is it hype? I'd see if you can rent them and compare. If it were me I'd compare the Tokina to the Canon. Many reviews I've read give the Tokina higher marks than the Tamron or Sigma.

I got a wide angle not too long ago for my XSI and after multiple reviews, tests, reading, talking and so on, my preference was Canon > Tokina > Sigma. But that was just my assessment, and all three were very very close.

I went with the Canon, mainly because I had a $500 certificate for a place that only carried the Canon. So made my choice easy.

Have had it for a few weeks and I totally love it.

I got a wide angle not too long ago for my XSI and after multiple reviews, tests, reading, talking and so on, my preference was Canon > Tokina > Sigma. But that was just my assessment, and all three were very very close.

I went with the Canon, mainly because I had a $500 certificate for a place that only carried the Canon. So made my choice easy.

Have had it for a few weeks and I totally love it.
Yeah, I think I'm going to avoid the ef-s lenses. I know I'll be jumping up to a 5D or 5D Mk2 in the not too distant future. While I'll keep my 50D, I don't want body specific lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back